Zoa ID and Possible problem

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so These are my first corals, I went with softies because I was told they were easier to keep, and so far things seem okay. however, since bringing them home, I have noticed both of my zoas used to have purple tendrils, which have faded to a brownish color. one of them also has a polyp that is growing kind of curved, although that may be due to the rock, I'm not sure, just thought I'd ask. that same one also seems to have possibly a hairlike projection growing out of it, but its really hard to see even in person. not sure if that is normal. also, an ID on these would be great, if anyone knows. I picked them cause I liked the colors but the guy at the store wasn't the one who normally cared for the corals, so he was unsure about their type. my water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 Phosphate .35 calcium 420 and salinity 1.025. I am using a Current USA light with my sunrise set to 9AM, daylight at 10,000k, sunset at 3:30, and actinics only for 5 hours after that. the tank is fallow right now, but it is also home to a plethora of assorted snails and a cleaner shrimp who all seem to be doing fine. I am also including a picture of my green star polyp, because he seems a tad faded too, but he seems to be bouncing back a tad after moving him to a higher position with better flow.
IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are really high. They should be under .10
I'm not familiar with the Current USA light, but if it's the color in your pictures, it appears that you don't have enough blue spectrum. Looks more like sunlight (white) spectrum to me. The blues and UV lights are what will make the corals fluoresce. Under sunlight, all (most) corals will looked browned out.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are really high. They should be under .10
I'm not familiar with the Current USA light, but if it's the color in your pictures, it appears that you don't have enough blue spectrum. Looks more like sunlight (white) spectrum to me. The blues and UV lights are what will make the corals fluoresce. Under sunlight, all (most) corals will looked browned out.
I’m trying to take them down with GFO and Water changes. That is the sunlight setting just to give an idea of what I was talking about. The actinics are very blue and they do make the corals Fluoresce. But that makes it really hard to see the tendril’s color

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to take them down with GFO and Water changes. That is the sunlight setting just to give an idea of what I was talking about. The actinics are very blue and they do make the corals Fluoresce. But that makes it really hard to see the tendril’s color
I assume you're talking about the skirt of the Zoa?
Without the blue, we probably won't see the color you're talking about. If possible, you can apply an orange filter to your camera/phone with the blue lights on. This will help with getting better pics. If you don't have a filter, you can use the app "Aquarium Cam".

Browning out of corals usually is due to lighting being too low. Can you post which light you have (model number)? Also, your tank dimensions.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're talking about the skirt of the Zoa?
Without the blue, we probably won't see the color you're talking about. If possible, you can apply an orange filter to your camera/phone with the blue lights on. This will help with getting better pics. If you don't have a filter, you can use the app "Aquarium Cam".

Browning out of corals usually is due to lighting being too low. Can you post which light you have (model number)? Also, your tank dimensions.
I am talking about the skirt of the Zoa. those pictures accurately capture the color I am talking about. they used to be a very DARK purple. almost black. I am downloading aquarium camera now and will upload new pictures in just a moment.

The Light I have is the Current USA Orbit Marine LED in the 46 inch length (advertized to tanks 48-60 inches, number 4103.) my tank dimensions are 48 inches long, 21 inches tall and 18 inches wide. the zoas are about mid height in the tank, with the GSP a few inches above the mid-line.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about the skirt of the Zoa. those pictures accurately capture the color I am talking about. they used to be a very DARK purple. almost black. I am downloading aquarium camera now and will upload new pictures in just a moment.

The Light I have is the Current USA Orbit Marine LED in the 46 inch length (advertized to tanks 48-60 inches, number 4103.) my tank dimensions are 48 inches long, 21 inches tall and 18 inches wide. the zoas are about mid height in the tank, with the GSP a few inches above the mid-line.
I think they look fine :) the corals are open and happy but maybe we’ll see after ur new pics

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they look fine :) the corals are open and happy but maybe we’ll see after ur new pics
These are the best pictures I could get trying to orangify the blue lights. also, any Idea what type these are?
IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

Edit: worth mentioning, those green ones also had a lot less green on them in the store... possible they weren't healthy at the store and are just returning to a healthier color?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best pictures I could get trying to orangify the blue lights. also, any Idea what type these are?
IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG
The top picture looks like some kind of rainbow palys of some sort, try looking up rainbow palys/zoas and find the different variations! The bottom looks like magician palys.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top picture looks like some kind of rainbow palys of some sort, try looking up rainbow palys/zoas and find the different variations! The bottom looks like magician palys.
looking those up that's almost definitely what they are. Thank you a ton. Worth mentioning I guess, I've only had them for a few weeks now and already have a lot of new polyps, so I'm not super concerned about them being very unhealthy, I just noticed the color change and wanted to nip any potential problems in the bud early. overall, you think they're doing okay? I don't want to screw this up

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking those up that's almost definitely what they are. Thank you a ton. Worth mentioning I guess, I've only had them for a few weeks now and already have a lot of new polyps, so I'm not super concerned about them being very unhealthy, I just noticed the color change and wanted to nip any potential problems in the bud early. overall, you think they're doing okay? I don't want to screw this up
No no they look awesome to me, if they’re open (good, could have problems) if they’re growing??? (Probably most likely 99.999% fine!!) I think ur good to go :) start trying some more difficult stuff after a month or after u get ur levels in check but, overall looking good!!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s perfect. A lot of people chase numbers and talk about high and low nutrients but whatever works so if it works then hey, good for u my guy
I just looked back and I got them on the 19th (feels like its been longer than two weeks but apparently not) so they've been growing about 1-2 polyps a week which is a lot faster than I thought they would tbh

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked back and I got them on the 19th (feels like its been longer than two weeks but apparently not) so they've been growing about 1-2 polyps a week which is a lot faster than I thought they would tbh
One thing that I just can’t resist about this hobby, is the more you have the faster they grow!! Taking care and doing regular maintenance and such goes a long way, especially for the bank :)

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no they look awesome to me, if they’re open (good, could have problems) if they’re growing??? (Probably most likely 99.999% fine!!) I think ur good to go :) start trying some more difficult stuff after a month or after u get ur levels in check but, overall looking good!!
tbh, I'm thinking of running a softy tank. I don't know if my light is good enough for some of the more needy stuff and I just love the way softies flow in the water. also I don't have like, boatloads of time to devote to my tank, so I am happy sticking to the easier end of things. definitely going to add more types though once that Phosphate gets back in line

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh, I'm thinking of running a softy tank. I don't know if my light is good enough for some of the more needy stuff and I just love the way softies flow in the water. also I don't have like, boatloads of time to devote to my tank, so I am happy sticking to the easier end of things. definitely going to add more types though once that Phosphate gets back in line
I mean sticks yk SPS and such are cool but not as cool as the softies in my opinion. I’m big on LPS, I mean they’re all super cool still but some things are just worth that top $$$ lol

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean sticks yk SPS and such are cool but not as cool as the softies in my opinion. I’m big on LPS, I mean they’re all super cool still but some things are just worth that top $$$ lol
see, I am a simple man, with simple pleasures. I could see running a tank with nothing but different kinds of zoas XD. I'd really like an anemone at some point for the clowns when I add fish again, but That's better for when I have more time to devote to the tank. actually, I just realized, my fallow period ends tomorrow! except not really, because I forgot that was coming up and I am QTing fish for at least a month (not gonna make the same mistakes twice). so... tomorrow my QT gets a fish? XD

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see, I am a simple man, with simple pleasures. I could see running a tank with nothing but different kinds of zoas XD. I'd really like an anemone at some point for the clowns when I add fish again, but That's better for when I have more time to devote to the tank. actually, I just realized, my fallow period ends tomorrow! except not really, because I forgot that was coming up and I am QTing fish for at least a month (not gonna make the same mistakes twice). so... tomorrow my QT gets a fish? XD
Lmaoooo I feel you with the fish, oooof but yeah man a whole zoa tank sounds dope, have them climb the glass/back walls!! Throw a nem on a rock hope it stays for the clowns and boom

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the best at Zoa ID, but to me the 'rainbow' ones look like Gobstoppers.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they are gobstoppers.

Magicians / speckled agaves ( similar zoas) are showing up all over. Gobstoppers have always been popular.

The high phosphate doesn't bother zoas . It actually makes them grow faster. However, the high phosphate causes other issues. Like all the red cyano. :)

Also, either nitrate is sky high as well or the lights are a bit too bright, or both. Gobstoppers should be stretching 1-2 inches high and stretch a bit. When they mash against the rocks like that you need to drop the lighting.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back