Zoa id needed

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently bought a zoa from a lfs and It was listed as a thermosphere but it was imported so it isn't liniaged I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be. I already pm'd footgal who seems to get tagged in every post lol and they said they thought possibly flaming mohican but I figured other opinions couldn't hurt. also I have a better picture and a video now so I figured that would help so if they want to check again that might help. It has a dark purple to black center with orange speckles and a light green skirt with yellow rings. I've also been told it could be a Predator zoa but to mee the predator seems way more yellow on the skirt
Resizer_16185674164910.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently bought a zoa from a lfs and It was listed as a thermosphere but it was imported so it isn't liniaged I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be. I already pm'd footgal who seems to get tagged in every post lol and they said they thought possibly flaming mohican but I figured other opinions couldn't hurt. also I have a better picture and a video now so I figured that would help so if they want to check again that might help. It has a dark purple to black center with orange speckles and a light green skirt with yellow rings. I've also been told it could be a Predator zoa but to mee the predator seems way more yellow on the skirt
Resizer_16185674164910.jpg

Thats 100% not a Flaming Mohican.
Ive sold dozens of FMs.

It looks like a hallucination to me :)

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats 100% not a Flaming Mohican.
Ive sold dozens of FMs.

It looks like a hallucination to me :)
Do hallucinations ever have just the speckling though. I feel like they usually have solid orange and rings on the disk like a gmk. That's why I was leaning towards a thermosphere cause it just has speckles

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do hallucinations ever have just the speckling though. I feel like they usually have solid orange and rings on the disk like a gmk. That's why I was leaning towards a thermosphere cause it just has speckles
Yours looks like it has a faint black ring.
It doesnt look like a thermosphere but it could be morphed.

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks like it has a faint black ring.
It doesnt look like a thermosphere but it could be morphed.
Yeah idk I feel like halucination and gmk usually have solid orange around the mouth and just before the skirt, have you ever seen them without any solid orange and only little speckles of orange?

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a Predator that was recently sold
predator.jpeg

It has much greener skirt than what is shown on New York Reef Aquarium website.

Also Predators are very recent imports so it is not well known yet, but it will likely be the next hot zoa.

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a Predator that was recently sold
predator.jpeg

It has much greener skirt than what is shown on New York Reef Aquarium website.

Also Predators are very recent imports so it is not well known yet, but it will likely be the next hot zoa.
That definitely looks pretty similar to mine, the only pictures I had seen of predators before was on their website or ones they had gotten from that site and they were waaaay to yellow to be what I had but if that's a Predator as well it could be that

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a picture of the colony from the store I got the zoa from its a much better pick taken with an actual camera if this picture helps id them
received_277195244044718.jpeg

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this cause I got the new more clear picture. I'm leaning towards predator zoa now does anybody have any other ideas or what it could be worth

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they a new morph or something I haven't ever heard of predator zoas untill now and it seems like they have only been listed for sale on r2r once
They are very recent imports. Just a month or so ago. They haven't even been successfully aquacultured yet which is why they haven't been on sale much. All the ones sold so far are straight from ocean on wild rocks.

They are known to hardcore zoa keepers but outside from that you'd likely never heard of them.

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very recent imports. Just a month or so ago. They haven't even been successfully aquacultured yet which is why they haven't been on sale much. All the ones sold so far are straight from ocean on wild rocks.

They are known to hardcore zoa keepers but outside from that you'd likely never heard of them.
Ahh that makes more sense I was wondering why nobody was selling them. Well hopefully it does well in my tank, so far so good it's coloring up too so thats nice. Hopefully i can grow it out and get some frags. I've only seen one sell so far and it was with a gmk for 450. I normally see the gmk for like 200 to 250pp so I guess the predator is about the same. At least tho only ones that have sold on r2r so far

CA Reefer 300G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those could be wild not fully colored hallucinations. I saw them in person in my local fish store today too. Dark purple + Sparkled center but some are turning to circles as well. Correct me if I’m wrong, predators were released not long time ago, could be just because of wild not final colored. Vendors are eager to make money so named & released wild. I was about to pull the trigger to buy a half rock of those but kinda afraid of those turning into hallucinations. Very similar when you see the whole rock. Kinda wanna wait for longer to tell if they are really a new kind of zoa.

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those could be wild not fully colored hallucinations. I saw them in person in my local fish store today too. Dark purple + Sparkled center but some are turning to circles as well. Correct me if I’m wrong, predators were released not long time ago, could be just because of wild not final colored. Vendors are eager to make money so named & released wild. I was about to pull the trigger to buy a half rock of those but kinda afraid of those turning into hallucinations. Very similar when you see the whole rock. Kinda wanna wait for longer to tell if they are really a new kind of zoa.
I'm pretty positive mine are predator zoas at this point only because they came in with the original import from Indonesia to Miami that had the predator zoas. Also if you look on each one of the little fingers in the skirt there are 2 rings of yellow like the nyra picture of predator zoas. Now I'm just waiting to see if there will be another import of them from Indonesia or if that will be all they had. If I'm lucky this will be the only import we get of them and they go up in value. Worst case scenario they find a bunch more and they drop down in price but with color like that I couldn't see them dropping below like 50pp and i wouldn't be too upset with that I got a good deal on my polyp

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I can't sell them I wouldn't really care it still is gonna look good in my zoa garden I needed some purple lol. But hey I'm definitely not gonna be mad if I get lucky and can make a little bit for new corals

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back