Zoa ID .... WWC Laser Lemons?

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely certain the ID on these. Thought maybe WWC laser lemons, but not entirely sure. As always, looking up a zoa name brings many different looking pics lol
A2277953-E72A-4AF1-85A5-2217F44BEF23.jpeg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I believe you are correct on the laser lemon ID, also that these things are crazy! Laser lemons can be a pastel color (the more widespread one) or like yours with electric green and purple. I think it has to do mostly with the lighting they are put in but maybe nutrients has something to do with it as well. Either way, it’s a beautiful piece!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@TateLitts there's a number of different laser lemon strains who's differences aren't tied to lighting or water parameters. They're becoming a 'bucket' of their own like fire and ice or packers... and the name is just very well traveled. Between TCK, Zoanthids.com and WWC (and Cherry Coral's Raspberry limeade) they're similar, but each strain has its own distinguishing characteristics. Kraken and joe's crab nebula are also incredibly similar as well.

What you have there looks to be an older "OG" unbranded strain (or likely Zoanthids.com strain) - I've had this one myself for 6-7 years. The difference between this one and the WWC strain is that the WWC has a yellow mouth, uniform pastel purple/pink middle and a green skirt. You appear to have the one with the yellow/gold mouth and skirt as well as the vibrant pink/purple band in the middle area. It's an absolutely lovely uncomplaining zoa that grows well and can take pretty high par.

For further reference here's my colony and some recent frags for comparison. Also attaching a pic of my colony of the WWC strain (note that in the higher light they developed a dark ring around the mouth).

IMG_3911.PNG IMG_4151.jpg

WWC strain

IMG_3910.PNG

And then if you'd like to compare further here's the link to the TCK strain: https://tckcorals.com/collections/zoas/products/dec-h96-3006-lazer-lemons-2020-12-21

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back