Zoa Identification/Confirmation

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I got this zoa polyp this past weekend and I am looking for either a positive ID or a confirmation on what I think it is.

I'm thinking that it is a magician. It's not very red at the moment though but it was in a fairly shaded spot at my LFS. It was in the $15 pp polyp section and was the only piece they had that was a single polyp.

This is under my Maxspect Ethereal at ~20% intensity as it was ramping up this morning.

Dhsbsh.jpg

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an agave
I think those are too exotic for my LFS, they're pretty bad about trying to get as much as $50 pp for such.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The additional coloring in and around the skirt is what's leading me to believe that. Magicians I've seen only had the color speckling in the middle. If they grow into a large colony (I'm sure they will) then send a couple to the east coast! It looks sweet.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The additional coloring in and around the skirt is what's leading me to believe that. Magicians I've seen only had the color speckling in the middle. If they grow into a large colony (I'm sure they will) then send a couple to the east coast! It looks sweet.
I'll be moving to the East Coast (West Palm Beach, FL) probably within the next couple of years haha If they grow like my Sunny D's, I will have 50 by Christmas :D (that's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe 20 or so haha)

If I've learned anything about zoas, it's that they can have single name but 3 or 4 different iterations or flavors and these could also be some sort of morph. I agree with you though about the speckling on the sides, it is throwing me off as well.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back