Zoa melting after 1mo in the aquarium

Inesq.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same thing happen like 2mo ago with a larger purple colony... and for 1mo the new orange ones were just fine .. i use same salt and waterchange and my theory is that maybe my filefish did this or got a taste for this new colony as well however i never seen him eat or pick on them just one time I did see him pick on the remains of the purple ones.

All my sps and lps and other corals ar fluffy and happy.. anyone has any solution to this or advice ?

Any chance I can still save them or alraedy to late ?

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 14.07.42_64bc409d.jpg WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 14.07.43_77ad71e7.jpg

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish will eat zoas (from experience), but they won't melt. These ones look like something else is going on.

What are your alk/mag/Nitrate/Phosphate and pH? These can cause problems sometimes.

The other thing that comes to mind is bacterial, but I wouldn't think that's the problem here.

We're they cut recently?

Otherwise, I wonder if they were "chop shop" wild coral? Did you get them from a hobbyist?

OP
OP
Inesq.

Inesq.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they were in my aquarium for like a month before looking like this.. the only thing I can have in mind aside the fish is maybe the waterchange being to big 20l for a 75l / 20g waterbox tank.. but i did check salinity and I also have alway dosed all for reef and dose 2/3 times a week coral food.. i been doing same thing for past mo and no issues , I also have lost a big zoa colony the same
time i had no issues with the new frag and now is like happening to the new frag as well it even had grown one extra head since I got it but I can’t think of anything aside swing but I always did the same water volume with no issues and idk :( is frustrating

OP
OP
Inesq.

Inesq.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the issue was the filefish , i have moved the frag close to the water surface for him to be unable to eat it and is how regenerating and also I moved him as punishment in the back of the ato until I decide what to do with it...the fuker did start eat my candycane , he never picked at it until I moved the zoa frag , and I had the candycane frag for like 1year in the aquarium and is one of my happyest corals until now after seeing my filefish making 2 holes into it almost seeing the skeleton of the coral

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back