Zoa melting?

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bunch of zoas 3 weeks ago and all have opened up in the tank but my one god of war frag has never opened. I used CoralRX dips on the frag when I first received and have since tried a freshwater dip last week and a qtip to apply a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the sides to try and clear off some algae this week (rinsed it off pretty quickly after), but it's still not showing any signs of opening up. I moved it a week ago when I saw my clowns headbutting it but it still hasn't shown signs of opening up. I can still see the pink center hidden underneath but I recently noticed what looked like translucent bubbles on its skin and it's softer to touch vs the other zoas I cleaned so wanted to check if this is on its way to melting? Anything I can do to help it? Below are my water parameters:

Temp: 77.9
Salinity: 34.1
Ammonia: 0-0.25 (my API test seems to have a slight green tinge to it but mostly yellow, but all my fish and other corals, including duncan, seem the same as always and it's been 4 months since I started cycling so don't think this is actually elevated since nothing has died recently either to cause a jump in ammonia)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH: 7.8-8.0
Alk: 7.9
Cal: 470
Mg: 1375
Phosphate: 0.03

I should also mention I've been getting more algae growth recently than I had historically (looks like GHA has been growing the fastest to me) and have been cleaning those up manually every week until I can get my hands on the right snails so not sure if that may be impacting anything (although, again, all my other zoas are open and many look actually quite happy / have been growing multiple heads since they arrived).

IMG_5746.JPG
IMG_5745.JPG

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those pics are of the frag it needs WAY more light. That stalk is so long. Move it up higher in the tank toward your light and into an area of higher flow. Zoa stalks grow longer when they’re reaching for light.

OP
OP
ashtoreth

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those pics are of the frag it needs WAY more light. That stalk is so long. Move it up higher in the tank toward your light and into an area of higher flow. Zoa stalks grow longer when they’re reaching for light.
So the frag had come with a much longer stalk (think it was probably underlit where it was before) and it's become slightly shorter over time in the tank -- I've moved it to progressively higher light areas but will it help if the zoa polyp itself is not actually opening up?

Back