Zoa/paly removal/ways to impede growth?

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall

I’m wanting to remove/take the purple/brown zoas in the center of this pic.

They smother other cooler zoas as they have huge skirts, and they are really good at stretching and reaching far away rock.

I’d like to remove them entirely or at the very least impede them in some way.

The rock isn’t massive but it’s my most filled out rock with multiple torches on it… I really don’t wanna pull it out of the water but starting to seem like the only choice.

Any ideas?

IMG_2087.jpeg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove them with tweezers, then scrub the rock with a toothbrush. Run some carbon in case of toxins, and don’t let any of the nasty boogers get away and spread somewhere else. Also wear a protective glove, I was removing some green pieces of chit and cut back of my hand on a vermetid I didn’t see under the mat of nastiness. Ended up with a nasty infection.
May not get rid of all of them but should slow them down.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to look into this method kalk paste or injection. Thanks for the reply!

It's super easy, and I do it all the time. I just mix "an amount" (really non-specific) with some™ RODI water, and squirt it into their mouths with the flow cut off. They close up quickly, and melt over a few days. Very easy, and very effective.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the Majano wand to beat back Oxides and Rastas. Didn't work, it just ticked off the Zoas. The current also freaks out the fish if you keep the zapper on for too long. I just use F-Aptasia now. I do a few square inches at a time, leave it on for a week, then siphon off a week later and repeat.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do - steel straws. Don't worry about palytoxin affecting other animals, they may actually have higher levels. What you need to do to protect your self is wear gloves if you have any scratches or wounds and don't do anything that will aerosolize the slime from them.

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do - steel straws. Don't worry about palytoxin affecting other animals, they may actually have higher levels. What you need to do to protect your self is wear gloves if you have any scratches or wounds and don't do anything that will aerosolize the slime from them.
Hmmm very cool… I like this idea the best. I’ve noticed my fish get kinda stressed when I’ve cut a few of the zoas/palys off the rock in the past, but I guess with a siphon going should reduce the cloud of crap they put out when you cut them.

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pass with a steel straw siphon and I got a fair chunk of them removed. Time limited by the amount of water I change weekly so it’ll prolly take a few weeks to suck them all out. Cheers for all the replies!
IMG_2093.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pass with a steel straw siphon and I got a fair chunk of them removed. Time limited by the amount of water I change weekly so it’ll prolly take a few weeks to suck them all out. Cheers for all the replies!
IMG_2093.jpeg
Congratulations, but I have a question. What is the name of the chalice in the right bottom side (green with yellow dots)?

Just a heads up, be careful with your orange yuma(at least I think that what it is). I like them but at one point they took over my tank and are very aggressive (they killed everything in their path) so I had to remove the rock with them. I tried to kill then /scrape them etc… but they always came back strong. Zoas removal is easy in comparison.

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, but I have a question. What is the name of the chalice in the right bottom side (green with yellow dots)?

Just a heads up, be careful with your orange yuma(at least I think that what it is). I like them but at one point they took over my tank and are very aggressive (they killed everything in their path) so I had to remove the rock with them. I tried to kill then /scrape them etc… but they always came back strong. Zoas removal is easy in comparison.
Thanks for the advice! That one I believe is Florida ricordea

That chalice was sold to me as space invader chalice.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! That one I believe is Florida ricordea

That chalice was sold to me as space invader chalice.
If it is Florida Ricordea you should be good, they are model citizens from my experience.
Here is the orange Yuma that took over and it just killed all corals in its path.
1692496033212.jpeg

I got it as a bonus coral at one point. Live and learn and no more bonus corals for me.

Here is my Space invader :
1692496494958.jpeg

Size of a dinner plate, the leading edge has left over damage from fighting the orange yuma. The not so funny thing is it was sold to me as JF Raga rampage but I was always suspicious it was space invader.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back