Zoa placement from each other

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stocking my tank more and more each week and just got into zoas. I have a large cone shaped Pukani rock that I want the bottom half to be a zoa garden. So far I’ve stuck 4 frags on it that all seem to be doing well. Question is, what’s good spacing to place zoa frags from each other? I love the look of a full zoa garden where you can’t see the rock anywhere. Thanks

Oh and one other question. Are polyps on different zoas different sizes? I first bought what was sold to me as Nightmare zoas and it has larger polyps like almost the size of a dime.
From a different vendor I bid in an auction and won Radioactive Green Dragon eyes, Fire and Ice, and Whammin Watermelons. These three all opened up and look healthy but their polyps are tiny in comparison to the Nightmares. The dragon eyes and fire and ice are maybe the size of a pencil eraser. The watermelons are even smaller but that frag is also the smallest at only 3 polyps. Is this normal? Thanks again.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the spacing. Some grow really fast and others don’t. Some are really small, like the rastas I have are smaller than a pencil eraser. I think the small ones may get smothered out by the larger ones.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have illuminati, goblins, rastas, scrambled eggs, and a few others on the same rock. I have another rock with about 6 other varieties. The polyps can vary in size, but I don't know how to distinguish if it's a zoa or a paly. I saw something where zoas have more of a slit-like mouth and palys are more rounded, but I have no idea if that means anything or not! Zoas can spread pretty rapidly and soon enough, your rock will be covered.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what will happen if a rock island ran out of space for different zoas to grow on that one island? Will it spread to sands? If not, what will happen? Will they just stop growing all together and stuck on that one rock?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@canadianeh i have some leaving the plug and growing on the sand. I Don’t know if all will do that, these are decorated giraffes from Aqua SD. If you don’t have sand they will definitely spread on the glass

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@canadianeh i have some leaving the plug and growing on the sand. I Don’t know if all will do that, these are decorated giraffes from Aqua SD. If you don’t have sand they will definitely spread on the glass

If they don't stop growing, in theory every reefer would either be frag seller, frag donor, or both, do you think?

But in reality, there are not many of them, I wonder why. Corals will be more widely available in lower cost too.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't stop growing, in theory every reefer would either be frag seller, frag donor, or both, do you think?

But in reality, there are not many of them, I wonder why. Corals will be more widely available in lower cost too.

Thats a good point. Some frag for money and some frag to make space. Not everyone has great success in growing out a lot of coral either. Some grow faster than others as well. I’m still learning and nothing has grown enough for me to frag. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back