Zoa Placement

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have 4 different zoanthids in my tank now. Don't be harsh, I'm only a beginner. So they're all opening up great and the treatment for zoapox seems like it's working great, but I've noticed an issue.

My jungle juice zoa stopped opening where it was at. How many times do you move a zoa before it is happy? What are some good spots for placement in the tank? It was about mid level in the tank, and opening fine. After starting zoapox treatment it hasn't seemed very happy. I tried placing it towards the top and wouldn't open. I have now placed it on the bottom of the tank, but it's sleepy time now, so I'll know tomorrow if it likes it better there.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll post pictures of the tank to see the distance of the light fixture and placement of the powerheads.

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience different zoas like different light and flow. Start with them on the sand bed. If they open then you can either keep them or move up slowly until you see them closing or being unhappy in general.

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are at the bottom to mid. I'm new too but they are doing well. I started dosing red sea and they seam to love it. I'm seeing 1 to 3 heads growth a week.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet! Sounds like i'm on the right track now. I have one zoanthid that is pretty close to the top, it hasn't produced any new heads yet, so i may move it down to see what happens. thanks for the info and advice!

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mgoesma. What Red Sea are you dosing
This one.
I switch back in forth. About 10 ml in the auto top off a week. Read sea I use 5 MP and 5 Ml

1485832504864-1993005599.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. But I also want to add that if you're treating for zoa pox, with furan 2 I assume, then they are likely going to be quite upset after treatment. Or if you just finished a couple/few days In a row then it may just need time to recover a bit. Furan 2 is an antibiotic/antifungal, we get quite unhappy when given strong doses of those too (;

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. good to know too. I am using furan 2. today was day three of treatment. it's funny because i'm treating two different frags. the one frag has ~10 polyps and opens up within 10 minutes of being placed back in the tank. the jungle juice is only 2 polyps and seems to be groggy from the meds.

side note with the jungle juice frag. it is forming a new polyp, but the new one is facing down. it looks very strange and is hard to see right now. hopefully after the treatment period is over i can get some good pics of it.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the jungle juice has been put in it's happy place. even opened up right after getting a furan-2 treatment!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine mid tank (I would guess about 8-10") under AI primes @ 60% intensity. and theres about 40 different kinds.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine vary in the tank. the distance is about 13" from the light. my light is a simple no frills corallife t5 two bulb fixture with standard bulbs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back