Zoa Pox Woe

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a colony of zoa yesterday, Dipped it and inspect.. nothing was out of the ordinary.

Some open after a few hours but some started to melt, later that night I check and saw some zoapox on some of the polyp and I immediately removed the colony..

It look like there are still some healthy polyp on the colony, should I try to frag and save those? Or just trash the colony ?

Was thinking about Furan 2, but fragging might be easier there arent that many healthy ones

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say, do what you normally would for your frags, and then follow up with a peroxide dip..I personally don't think furan is necessary if you dip peroxide..but I'm not a zoa expert..just a guy who did it one time lol

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PREP: Make 1 container (tupperware or big bowl) of-- 1 cup tank saltwater, 10 drops peroxide, mix thoroughly.
Make another container (tupperware or big bowl)-2 cups tankwater, 2 drops lugols, mix thoroughly.
Frag zoas, leave them in another tupperware in clean tank water.
Get mr clean magic eraser (ORIGINAL), cut small 1 inch x 1/4 inch wedges,

TREAT: Dip mr clean WEDGES into perox/water mixture
GENTLY wipe CLOSED POLYP zoas, removing all signs of pox. DO NOT DIP/SUBMERGE ZOAS INTO SOLUTION.
Rinse in tank water container,
Let frag sit in lugols solution for 2 mins. (if any slime secreted on polyp, wipe off with new wedge of magic eraser)
Put on frag rack with medium flow and medium/low light.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mr clean idea is amazing..I'll be using that trick if I ever have to use it again..god forbid..haha

saliva911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't delt with zoa pox in a while i woul frag sometimes you can scrape it off carefully without hurting the polyp

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't delt with zoa pox in a while i woul frag sometimes you can scrape it off carefully without hurting the polyp

yup! :bigsmile:. i found using the original mr clean cut into small wedges gets them and other algae off very well. even inbetween zoa polyps.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back