Zoa Pox ?

shine guy

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month I have been battling the pox. I had several colonies develop it, I treated with Furan 2 as suggested on zoaid with about 50% success. Now I have several healthy frags that have developed it out of nowhere I'm on day 2 of furan 2 treatment. Then today I noticed another frag that was near the others on my frag tray has developed it over night. So I have several questions.

Where does it come from?

Is it contagious?

And why does it keep coming back?

Has anyone else had this problem?

any successful treatments?

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2004 it seemed to be running rampant. I got it from some zoas out of the Solomon Islands. Nearly wiped out my tank. I fragged and dipped in lugols with modest success. Muchoreef is the guy to ask on RC.

OP
OP
shine guy

shine guy

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use mucho's dip for all my new additions and tried it for the pox but didnt have any success.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited experience with zoapox but from everything I have been told, water changes in addition to the furan dips can be very helpful. Have you been able to do one or two water changes in the course of your treatment? High flow has also been reputed to help in the recovery process. Another thing I have heard is that outbreaks can be related to lighting conditions, meaning when a frag or colony is placed under more intense lighting. Have you by chance changed your lighting recently? I hope you can figure this out as I know how frustrating it can be to lose beautiful colonies of zoas!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back