Zoa problem

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having problems with my zoas. They stay closed and look pinched. My calcium is 499ppm and my alk is at 9.4. Everything looks good to me. Thinks in advance.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1103191031.jpg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates and phosphates? They generally like "dirtier" water. If too clean they may not open. What type of flow do you have in them? Might be too much. They prefer low to moderate.
Any kind of crab in the tank? Common crabs like emeralds and hermits can go after them if hungry.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Mine are closed up, but I just treated a dinos outbreak with 48 hours blackout and they are slowly opening. However, I have never seen any of mine have that indent ring around the top of their stolons like that.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently change the carbon,GFO, or frequent water change ?

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me? If me, then yes. After the dinos treatment black out, there was a lot of dino and possibility of toxins from die off so I did a 25% wc with new carbo, new gfo, but I haven't started the reactor yet. I also dosed fritz turbo start with coraline algae in a bottle and 5280 pods and phyto to out compete the dinos. So there were a lot of other factors. Like I said give it time. I see them opening slowly, but haven't seen a "pinch" around the top like @Redneck19261

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly they and the tank look pretty good, the picture is bright but I think they are stretching for the light what lights are you using and how? not sure I would change anything. The corraline suggests your tank is doing well

Does everything else look good at 9.5dkh and is that where you maintain it?
Have they been doing good and just now starting to close?

more info always helps all parameters full tank picture some may suggest iodine but maybe just skim less I think it gets removed by that

Amino acids and vitamins never a bad idea as long as you don’t overdo it.

I’m leaning towards more light

I think some people running healthy tanks can be in danger of it being too clean, wether too much skimming carbon gfo or chaeto, sorry I like to be thorough and clarify lol

Last edited:

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Txplicit This may sound backwards but I notice after 10% water changes some zoas would shrink up or close up for a few days.After reading a few post occassionally I would add 5ml of skim waste and notice a quick turnaround in all of them opening vibrant BACK to normal .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Txplicit This may sound backwards but I notice after 10% water changes it would shrink up or close some of my zoas. After reading a few post occassionally I would add 5ml of skim waste and notice a quick turnaround in all of them opening vibrant BACK to normal .
Really? My lfs said it's a parasite. But I never wouldve though my water would be to clean

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? My lfs said it's a parasite. But I never wouldve though my water would be to clean
Words of wisdom, dont listen to everything the LFS has to say.When I first purchased my tank my LFS insisted to add clowns to jump start tank cycling. They also said it's ok to use well water instead of r/o to mix initial saltwater. After that fiasco I focused getting more info from R2R and people at WWC.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Words of wisdom, dont listen to everything the LFS has to say.When I first purchased my tank my LFS insisted to add clowns to jump start tank cycling. They also said it's ok to use well water instead of r/o to mix initial saltwater. After that fiasco I focused getting more info from R2R and people at WWC.
Yea thats how they told me to cycle my tank the same way. But I can't beleave they told you to use well water though lol that's crazy

Back