Zoa propagation

11purewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody just snip the heads off Zoas to frag them.I've done a few and they all live and reattach to rock rubble after a few days.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody just snip the heads off Zoas to frag them.I've done a few and they all live and reattach to rock rubble after a few days.
What do you mean heads? Do you have pictures? I know some like protopalys you can cut in half and get 2 but don't know with palys & zs

OP
OP

11purewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was separating some stray cheapo zoa from some of my nicer one's and threw them in my frag tank to see what would happen, they all ended up in a low flow area and started to open up within an hour(they were trimmed as close to the base as possible because I was hoping to eliminate it)and the bases actually grew back within a week.I figure it might only happen with certain zoas so I'm going to try with something a little nicer (CAR's).The reason being some of my mother colonies are residing on a 40 pound piece of live rock I cant move.I'll post some pics soon.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's referring to cutting the entire polyp off the base not cutting the polyp in half. A bit tricky to understand with the wording but thats what it sounds like to me. And yes, thats a good way to propagate them!

OP
OP

11purewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's referring to cutting the entire polyp off the base not cutting the polyp in half. A bit tricky to understand with the wording but thats what it sounds like to me. And yes, thats a good way to propagate them!
Yes that's exactly correct,sorry for the loss in translation.:canada:

OP
OP

11purewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pic's,two CAR's bottom left freshlycut at 5pm ,starting to open 7pm
zoanthids 014.jpg
zoanthids 015.jpg
zoanthids 016.jpg
zoanthids 017.jpg
zoanthids 018.jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back