Zoa Transplant for a Newbie

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I've got a variety of *really* nice Zoas I've procured from various live sales that have grown out like crazy in my nano. I'm a fragging newbie.

But, I'm slowly breaking the nano down, both because I've got the 180 rolling, and the wife doesn't really want 2 tanks simul.

The zoas have largely grown out all over the sand, rocks, etc, and due to a handful of Aiptasia that the pepps and Berghia aren't getting to, I am not ready to yank all the rock out. But I probably won't be until the zoas are on the struggle bus for nutrients. So I'd like to salvage large chunks of the colonies to repo them into the big boy, and will have to eventually anyway, as the core rock and sand from the nano isn't going anywhere near the CADE.

I've looked at some zoa fragging videos, but any advice for how best to get them off sand / etc without badly damaging the parts left behind?

Also, can you apply super glue directly to the bottom of the zoas? I've been pondering setting up a zoa garden flat on the bottom glass in a portion of the tank.

Grazie for answers in advance, and continuing to peruse similar questions and vids here.

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always just fragged zoas with a razor blade, one quick cut and they are off, (Gloves and goggles required), as for super glue yes you can apply right to the bottom, it normally stays if the Zoa grows over it in time, I have had where it didn’t grow onto the glue and eventually was carried away by the current.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always just fragged zoas with a razor blade, one quick cut and they are off, (Gloves and goggles required), as for super glue yes you can apply right to the bottom, it normally stays if the Zoa grows over it in time, I have had where it didn’t grow onto the glue and eventually was carried away by the current.
Thanks. In this case I'm also talking about fragging mats with 50-100 polyps each in some cases. Same logic apply?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. In this case I'm also talking about fragging mats with 50-100 polyps each in some cases. Same logic apply?
Yes. No difference. I never use googles though that’s overkill. Just cut a line down where you want to move a large portion away from the colony. If they’re on sand it’ll actually be easier because they aren’t attached to anything. 50-100 heads isn’t that large an area anyway depending on the zoa. I’ve got 37 heads on a 2”x2” square frag.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back