Zoa under rock lost all color

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was rearranging my tank when I moved a rock and out popped two heads of an almost completely clear and very stretched out zoa. I grabbed them and glued them down to a frag plug and placed it at the bottom of my tank. My guess is that they are Nirvanas as those things could survive the apocalypse, but I can't tell for sure. In the last couple days they shrunk back down to normal zoa size and now have some color starting to show.
So my question is will these grow back with the same patterns and colors they always had? Or will they grow using whatever zooxanthellae is available to them resulting in different color and or pattern?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was rearranging my tank when I moved a rock and out popped two heads of an almost completely clear and very stretched out zoa. I grabbed them and glued them down to a frag plug and placed it at the bottom of my tank. My guess is that they are Nirvanas as those things could survive the apocalypse, but I can't tell for sure. In the last couple days they shrunk back down to normal zoa size and now have some color starting to show.
So my question is will these grow back with the same patterns and colors they always had? Or will they grow using whatever zooxanthellae is available to them resulting in different color and or pattern?
They’ll be the same color

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back