Zoa vs Paly, help with identification please

vigasan

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these from a local seller and was hoping for some identification help, if possible, please? Including pictures under white light and my regular lighting.

I've tried on my own, and the closest I've gotten is Mohawk Zoanthid vs. a type of Palythoa button colony.



3d4c8897-6c7a-4f8d-bb01-c189938ff03c.jpg

65784137-607d-4e57-801a-f2f9ae739d89.jpg

a622849e-b459-4910-a73f-9b34fcf811c6.jpg

c7d505b3-532f-4f70-aefb-2452e2f7a50e.jpg

d29aa06b-6e24-4241-84c1-ea34e3ecc027.jpg

f21f4979-0784-497c-82f5-d39f8ffb57d7.jpg
 
IMO almost everything is described as a zoa by default, but to me those are pally's.
 
I'd vote pally's as well.
 
Looks like a pandora or gold dust paly, though they're sometimes listed as zoas.

One distinction is palythoa typically incorporate substrate into their mesoglea and coenenchyme, which I believe we could be seeing here.
IMG_3108.jpeg


If the sand and substrate is incorporated into the flesh of the coral, it's likely a palythoa :) (though some sand-encrusting zoathids do exist)

Unfortunately, corals can be a taxonomic nightmare, especially when only based on pictures
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new