Zoa warfare?

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've noticed this clear/white stringy substance coming from my zoas for a couple of days and dont know what they are. Are they the infamous zoa stingers? All water parameters are textbook perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0B9C552F-1BB2-48DC-88C4-478BA6873EA4.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of this before and have kept zoanthids for years. Most of the problems mine ever caused were growing fast and shading over hard corals or shading other zoanthids some times.

#reefsquad thoughts?

OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, following

It's been going on for several days and it appeared that it began with the bullseye zoos and now the nuclear greens are producing it as well, I'll see if I can post a better photo

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been going on for several days and it appeared that it began with the bullseye zoos and now the nuclear greens are producing it as well, I'll see if I can post a better photo
Try with white lights. Most cameras aren't good at picking up detail under blue light, as you can see there are tons of areas of solid blue and it's hard to make out exactly whats going on in the image.

OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try with white lights. Most cameras aren't good at picking up detail under blue light, as you can see there are tons of areas of solid blue and it's hard to make out exactly whats going on in the image.
8254918C-D97B-4370-AAF1-77A9067A21E1.jpeg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all these frags from the same source? If they are the rock the zoas were attached too could have been infested with them which is why it would only be on certain areas. Just a theory though

OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all these frags from the same source? If they are the rock the zoas were attached too could have been infested with them which is why it would only be on certain areas. Just a theory though

Those are the closest thing to diagnosing that I could find, are they harmful? The frags are from different sources and have been dipped before introduced. How would I go about ridding my tank, manually removing them?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the closest thing to diagnosing that I could find, are they harmful? The frags are from different sources and have been dipped before introduced. How would I go about ridding my tank, manually removing them?
Spaghetti worms are actually beneficial hitchhikers that eat detritus. They don't sting or harass corals and you zoas seem to be happy as they are so I wouldn't worry too much about it ;) They're only a problem if you don't like the way they look, but they don't infest tanks and their numbers will go down as there is less detritus for them to eat.

OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti worms are actually beneficial hitchhikers that eat detritus. They don't sting or harass corals and you zoas seem to be happy as they are so I wouldn't worry too much about it ;) They're only a problem if you don't like the way they look, but they don't infest tanks and their numbers will go down as there is less detritus for them to eat.

Ok good to know, all the zoas are opened and appear happy during peak hours so I guess I'll try not to stress, they just appeared several days ago and seem to be more then when they began so idk! I have sps and lps and they seem unaffected

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know, all the zoas are opened and appear happy during peak hours so I guess I'll try not to stress, they just appeared several days ago and seem to be more then when they began so idk! I have sps and lps and they seem unaffected
If you want to lower their population I suggest beefing up your CUC to help take care of detritus before the spaghetti worms get to it. How is the flow in your tank? That's also a big part of detritus build up so if there isn't enough the worms will have plenty to eat.

OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to lower their population I suggest beefing up your CUC to help take care of detritus before the spaghetti worms get to it. How is the flow in your tank? That's also a big part of detritus build up so if there isn't enough the worms will have plenty to eat.

The flow is moderate to high, never really had too much of a ditritus problem, I also do weekly waterchanges.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow is moderate to high, never really had too much of a ditritus problem, I also do weekly waterchanges.
Should be fine then. I doubt they'll infest your tank since it seems like you have everything in order. A few worms is unavoidable in a tank but like I said they won't cause any problems.

OP
OP
Reeferguy69

Reeferguy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine then. I doubt they'll infest your tank since it seems like you have everything in order. A few worms is unavoidable in a tank but like I said they won't cause any problems.

Thanks again for the responsiveness, I'll try not to worry too much!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back