ZoaID.com expands to CoralPedia.com!

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya all,

We've been setting up a migration from ZoaID.com to www.CoralPedia.com for some time now. I am happy to say, it is finally here!
:iconbiggrin:

How appropriate is this that we follow the transition from club-zoa to Reef2Reef?

We are now accepting submissions for all corals and are adding some new features right off the bat including:
  1. Our gallery now has a search mechanism installed/enabled
  2. Submissions will now have Scientific Identification (Family, Genus, Species)
  3. Submissions will now have color descriptions
Our Zoanthid submission count is currently over 320 submissions. Our non-Zoanthid submission count is only a few. We expect this to grow to over 50 within the next month and the sky is the limit from there!

CoralPedia has the same look and feel as ZoaID -- just an expansion into other corals. We kept the structure intact so all of the links to ZoaID out there on the WWW will still work as well.

We hope you like the expansion, enjoy the site!
-Who Dah?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy to see the Family, genus, species classification come in. Many people have trouble with the latin scientific names of corals, but these really are the only way we can truly identify a coral. There are so many common names out there that are shared by several coral, like "closed brain" for example. I have a diagram on my site showing the relationships of the different "corals" to each other, all the way back to the Phylum level. It includes zoanthids, soft corals, hard corals, gorgonians, and fire coral. It includes only the commonly kept genera. An explanation about scientific classification, as well as the link to the diagram can be found at:

http://www.russellaquaculture.com/education

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoda, congratulations. Looking forward to seeing this expand. Good job on the hard work.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AWESOME! Congrats brother on the new venture! R2R is here to help you in any way...

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W00t! Thank you Who Dah? for all the hard work he put into the site! Very exciting upgrade for all of us :D

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything the new site will need? Pics, info, etc? I'm willing to help out the site. The world needs a good data repository of reef-keeping corals.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the Livestock forum of zeovit.com you'll find a tremendous database of corals ID'ed by genus and species. I've been using it for years and find it to be one of the better resources out there, even better than Veron because of the diversity represented and the fact that the corals are in hobbyist's collections. Because it is more "scientific-based", you won't find a lot of the designer names associated with the corals, which is the way it should be IMO.

Dave

OP
OP
Who Dah?

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

It's not all me, and I'd like to thank the CoralPedia.com council for helping in tremendous ways. We'll get a document posted on them very soon.
:D

Russellaqua: you bet, pics are great! If you would like to submit some of your named corals using the 'Submit a Coral' link on the left-hand side, that would be great! The Family/Genus/Species ID helps out a ton, but for everyone reading, that's not mandatory. We'll do our best to confirm and/or ID pieces for you when the submitter doesn't know it.

In fact, some species are VERY hard to ID as most of us know. I foresee us stopping at the Genus level for these pieces and moving them to the species level once they are (finally) confirmed. I also suspect that from time-to-time, we at CP will have to humble ourselves w/ an incorrect ID that we were corrected on and move it accordingly.
icon_redface.gif

I'm thinking we might create an audit trail of these changes.

On another note, one nifty link that I'm not sure how often is used is our Changelog link. This page will show you all of the recently added corals. It's on the left-hand menu, and sends you here:
http://www.coralpedia.com/changelog_coral.php

Another idea we are kicking around right now is to eliminate the Family from the breadcrumb trail. For instance, take the "Baby's Breath favia":
http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=5777

See the breadcrumb trail at the top? One currently has to navigate to:
Gallery -> LPS (Large Polyp Stonies) -> Faviidae -> Favia -> Baby's Breath

We're thinking of making it:
Gallery -> LPS (Large Polyp Stonies) -> Favia -> Baby's Breath

We would still keep the Family name attached to the corals and sub-albums, but eliminate one more click and keep it easier for most people who are more familiar w/ the term "Favia" then they are "Faviidae".
:D

(On a side note, we plan on fixing the nomenclature of the Genus and Species. In this case, "Faviidae" would become "Faviidae" and "Favia" would be changed to "Faviidae favia".)

And Russellaqua, thanks for asking!! :D We will have some other user-based interactions and needs in the near future besides just submittals. But I need to get some programming in place first.

cee: thx for the tip!!

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for somethibng like this to show up on the net. Like a repository for all coral names.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back