Zoanthid eating nudibranchs

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Is there a place to buy zoanthid/palythoa eating nudibranchs? I would like to get some for a palythoa that has gone wild in my SPS tank. Due to the highly overgrown nature of the tank, manual removal of the paly is not an option.

Thanks!

Mike

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

Is there a place to buy zoanthid/palythoa eating nudibranchs? I would like to get some for a palythoa that has gone wild in my SPS tank. Due to the highly overgrown nature of the tank, manual removal of the paly is not an option.

Thanks!

Mike
You don’t want these especially if they start laying eggs
Inject with vinegar or alk

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to know a store that always had them....they came free with zoa purchase sadly.

If you can find one in stock anywhere a gaudy clown crab is a great option to eradicate palys.

Garpgarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want pest nudibranchs for the novelty or whatever you'll have to buy them from an afflicted hobbyist. Can't be certain that the type you get will clear up that specific kind of zoa either.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be certain that the type you get will clear up that specific kind of zoa either.
This is true from what I’ve read:
Even if it is a zoanthid eating nudibranch, studies have shown that they have strong preferences for highly specific species of zoa/palythoa - to the point where in the wild they totally ignored other species to target the ones they wanted. Knowing how specialized some nudibranchs are, it wouldn’t surprise me if they would literally rather starve than even attempt to eat a non-preferred zoanthid species. This means you could have a zoanthid eating nudibranch in a tank full of zoas, and they still might starve to death.

OP
OP
S

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm perennially on the list for a Gaudy Clown Crab but have yet to be quick enough to actually get one.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back