Zoanthid food

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am getting a zoanthid, to try out corals, do they need like coral food,? or just need a uv lights as there source of food

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or just need a uv lights as there source of food
It’s the same for all corals
To clarify these two points here - they don't need UV lights, they need light from non-UV and non-IR portions of the light spectrum (i.e. they need visible light); also, most corals do just need light, a few (typically LPS) may do better if fed, and some (all NPS corals) just need fed (they're not photosynthetic, so they can't "feed on" the light like other corals can).

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify these two points here - they don't need UV lights, they need light from non-UV and non-IR portions of the light spectrum (i.e. they need visible light); also, most corals do just need light, a few (typically LPS) may do better if fed, and some (all NPS corals) just need fed (they're not photosynthetic, so they can't "feed on" the light like other corals can).
Thank you, obviously I'm to dumb to figure that out

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sorry if it came across rudely - I just know lighting and photosynthesis can be confusing to figure out.
Last question, even for fishless aquariums?
Corals need some sort of nutrients in the water, but not necessarily actual food - people dose things like ammonia and phosphate (or sometimes fish/coral foods) to feed the corals in fishless systems.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sorry if it came across rudely - I just know lighting and photosynthesis can be confusing to figure out.

Corals need some sort of nutrients in the water, but not necessarily actual food - people dose things like ammonia and phosphate (or sometimes fish/coral foods) to feed the corals in fishless systems.
Thank you, also it didn't come across rude at all.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They eat fish food

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no stupid questions here - there’s an absurd amount to learn and know about these tanks and a lot of it is obscure, non-obvious or counterintuitive. Even among the most highly experienced folks on here I doubt any would claim to have reached the end of their learning curve.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back