Zoanthid Pest ??

lmhiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked everywhere to find something similar to what’s going on with my zoanthids , I noticed this about a few days ago, looks like gold tentacles or polyps, when removed from the water they will retract and look like closed polyps, and when they are extended they will sway with the water flow.

IMG_0496.jpeg IMG_0495.jpeg IMG_0491.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to see with blue lights, but kinda looks like a galaxea or hydroids. Regardless it is likely irritating or stinging your zoanthids. I would remove if the zoa’s are your priority.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see with blue lights, but kinda looks like a galaxea or hydroids. Regardless it is likely irritating or stinging your zoanthids. I would remove if the zoa’s are your priority.
Its some sort of coral, though that skeleton is definitely not galaxea. It's a stretch but maybe hydnophora?

OP
OP
L

lmhiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the seller I bought this from and he said “I’m pretty sure I know what this is. About 4-6 months ago I had Pocillopora (a type of SPS) naturally spawn in my system. It lands randomly around the tank and starts slowly growing. Honestly I did not notice it on this frag prior to shipping. I can send you a new frag of this with your next order just remind me. It’s harmless and won’t cause any issues. My apologies though!” I’m going to just frag the remaining zoa’s and hope it will recover, thanks for everyone’s help. Maybe this can help others in the future

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it's "harmless" but can spawn and spread throughout your system and take over.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the seller I bought this from and he said “I’m pretty sure I know what this is. About 4-6 months ago I had Pocillopora (a type of SPS) naturally spawn in my system. It lands randomly around the tank and starts slowly growing. Honestly I did not notice it on this frag prior to shipping. I can send you a new frag of this with your next order just remind me. It’s harmless and won’t cause any issues. My apologies though!” I’m going to just frag the remaining zoa’s and hope it will recover, thanks for everyone’s help. Maybe this can help others in the future
I'd keep it! A free SPS AND a replacement zoa? That's a great deal! Though careful with fragging. Palytoxin is no joke. Make sure to toss in some carbon after fragging.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back