Zoanthids not opening

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have a 23 gallon frag tank with 1 Kessil A360x tuna blue and 1 Kessil 160we tuna blue, a Nero 3 pump with a sicce whale canister. I am dosing .9ml of RedSea’s No3Po4x a day as well as vibrant every two weeks. I bought 4 zoanthid frags from my LFS and dipped them all in freshwater iodine solution and ever since I got them they are not opening up. I noticed on some of them there’s a thin white slime coat and one of the small zoanthids there’s some stringy white stuff over the polyps. Can someone identify what’s going on? Maybe this is an effect of the no3po4x? The water I used to mix my salt in is from my LFS and the RO water’s tds is coming out as 3. In the frag tank I got it out of the tds is 0. Is that too big of a difference to keep coral from my LFS frag tanks?

C7AC1518-D8CE-4717-B2FF-B9464E6AC2B6.jpeg

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have a 23 gallon frag tank with 1 Kessil A360x tuna blue and 1 Kessil 160we tuna blue, a Nero 3 pump with a sicce whale canister. I am dosing .9ml of RedSea’s No3Po4x a day as well as vibrant every two weeks. I bought 4 zoanthid frags from my LFS and dipped them all in freshwater iodine solution and ever since I got them they are not opening up. I noticed on some of them there’s a thin white slime coat and one of the small zoanthids there’s some stringy white stuff over the polyps. Can someone identify what’s going on? Maybe this is an effect of the no3po4x? The water I used to mix my salt in is from my LFS and the RO water’s tds is coming out as 3. In the frag tank I got it out of the tds is 0. Is that too big of a difference to keep coral from my LFS frag tanks?

C7AC1518-D8CE-4717-B2FF-B9464E6AC2B6.jpeg
I got some zoas shipped to me last week that I dipped with seachem dip. They have not opened yet. I recently did a peroxide dip on a few zoas and they remained closed for close to a week but finally opened. I imagine the transfer from your lfs to your tank and then the dip have them stressed. Sorry that I can't answer your questions, I just wanted you to know it's not uncommon.

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of dipping them with revive and even feeding some reef chili to see if that will encourage them

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back