Zoanthind Post Dip - What's on it?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped these zoanthids, and I noticed a green, miss-like and some other loose-looking tan fibers on them. I'm no marine biologist, but it just looked odd to me. Can anyone confirm that these look "normal" in terms of the potentially excess items on them? Much appreciated.

20230310_150432.jpg 20230310_150511.jpg

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, great minds think alike between you two. So, I guess the algae wouldn't be a big deal, but more so the tannish dangling bit in the first picture. I only dipped them in Coral RX. I'm not familiar with H202. That red circle had that little strand waving in the water, but I guess that's just also algae?

Attachments

• 20230310_150432~2.jpg
    20230310_150432~2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 19

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, coral rx is for pests, hydrogen peroxide is for algae (although it isn't very nice to pests either.)

There's a whole forum on algae and there are sticky threads at the top with good info about how to remove different types.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, great minds think alike between you two. So, I guess the algae wouldn't be a big deal, but more so the tannish dangling bit in the first picture. I only dipped them in Coral RX. I'm not familiar with H202. That red circle had that little strand waving in the water, but I guess that's just also algae?
Looks like a hair algae possibly byropsis but hard to tell from that picture..

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the next question is, should I remove it or does it matter? Will it propagate and become an issue? I'll read the stickies in the meantime. I just noticed it only on the two zoanthids.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the next question is, should I remove it or does it matter? Will it propagate and become an issue? I'll read the stickies in the meantime. I just noticed it only on the two zoanthids.
Look into peroxide dips and zoos.. it will cure it for ya!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Algae will grow regardless, but you really don't want it irritating your coral...

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Algae will grow regardless, but you really don't want it irritating your coral...
It's fairly new, so I'll Google a bit and look for some tutorials on how to dip the zoas in H2o2. I imagine for the night it will be alright, or so I hope haha.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly new, so I'll Google a bit and look for some tutorials on how to dip the zoas in H2o2. I imagine for the night it will be alright, or so I hope haha.
You’re fine.. it might eventually spread but it’s not something that happens over night.. those are hard to remove from a frag plug but any lps or Sps it’s best to ditch the frag plug and glue them to rock rubble or a rock etc.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re fine.. it might eventually spread but it’s not something that happens over night.. those are hard to remove from a frag plug but any lps or Sps it’s best to ditch the frag plug and glue them to rock rubble or a rock etc.
That's good to hear. I broke away some of the frag plug, but was being super cautious as not to damage the zoa. I chipped away some of the frag part (the white part exposed is where I lessened the disk), but I was hesitant to chip away anymore, as I didn't want to damage the zoa.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are zoas the only coral people dip completely in H2O2? And probably spot treat others with a paint brush?
There are a few others, but to your point, some coral won't tolerate any H2O2 unless its so diluted it's lost it's effectiveness on algae. Very generally speaking, soft corals are the most tolerant, followed by *some* LPS, and then the rest of the lps and SPS. Chalices and hydnophora, for example, can almost melt if you get too strong of a solution on the flesh (ask me how I know :( ). And obviously, don't use on anemones or feather dusters.

Best bet is to dilute it 1 part H2O2 to 3 parts water and see what happens.

Dutch_Mill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are zoas the only coral people dip completely in H2O2? And probably spot treat others with a paint brush?

I have dipped virtually all types of corals in H2O2 and I spot treat with undilluted 12%. Anything you want to get rid of withers away within seconds.

This topic has a nice guideline of what corals can handle.

Best bet is to dilute it 1 part H2O2 to 3 parts water and see what happens.

I prefer to stick to PPM. Your suggestion is probably based on using 3% H2O2, but I for example only buy 12% so I have to dillute more. 3% and 12% is pretty much the same price per litre here and I use a lot of H2O2 in my tanks.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dip in H2o2, but I wanted to be pretty conservative about it. I put it in water, and spritzed it with a bit of H2o2. I rinsed it off thereafter, but the poor little guys' polyps are still closed. I've read that it can take a day or so. Hoping that they come back...

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dip in H2o2, but I wanted to be pretty conservative about it. I put it in water, and spritzed it with a bit of H2o2. I rinsed it off thereafter, but the poor little guys' polyps are still closed. I've read that it can take a day or so. Hoping that they come back...
I have some zoas that were in pretty bad shape after being stuck in shipping for over 2 days. I dipped the zoas in full strength 3%. Most of them recovered within a few days but a couple are just now opening, weeks later. Pretty tough corals!

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoas that were in pretty bad shape after being stuck in shipping for over 2 days. I dipped the zoas in full strength 3%. Most of them recovered within a few days but a couple are just now opening, weeks later. Pretty tough corals!
That's incredible, appreciate the anecdote! Didn't realize a couple of weeks was even a thing. Here's hoping! Mine have a couple of heads that are starting to open again, but most are still closed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back