Zoas and parameters in reef tank

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g mixed reef that's been up for just over 6 months.
Parameters are as follows
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.03
Alk 10
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1600

My lps and Sps are doing great but my zoas arent doing very well. Utter chaos colony is melting away, sunny ds aren't happy etc. Also got a new frag of rainbow cloves and they also melted away.

I do realise that I need to increase my nitrates and phosphates but I do believe the levels are higher because I'm doing with hair algae throughout the entire sand bed and some patches of cyano.

Assuming my softies are dying because my phosphates and nitrates are too low but if I try to increase them the algae growth explodes.

What can I do to save my zoas but also get rid of the algae and cyano?

Thx

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g mixed reef that's been up for just over 6 months.
Parameters are as follows
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.03
Alk 10
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1600

My lps and Sps are doing great but my zoas arent doing very well. Utter chaos colony is melting away, sunny ds aren't happy etc. Also got a new frag of rainbow cloves and they also melted away.

I do realise that I need to increase my nitrates and phosphates but I do believe the levels are higher because I'm doing with hair algae throughout the entire sand bed and some patches of cyano.

Assuming my softies are dying because my phosphates and nitrates are too low but if I try to increase them the algae growth explodes.

What can I do to save my zoas but also get rid of the algae and cyano?

Thx
starving your corals of all nitrate and phosphate will lead to their deaths.

Have you looked into bioreactor with pellets? Vibrant? refugium with macroalgae? dosing LIVE phytoplankton? Manual removal? This is no single solution and no solution that works best for all so unfortunately try for extended while then adjust.

We did do Vibrant for ~4 months and tank was looking good, but fast forward more months and since GHA wasn't 100% eradicated, so its back in my display tank and sump... 99.999999% isn't 100% gone...

Hair algae has killed some of my corals. Tried peroxide, but that killed corals more & faster... We're backing off (again) macroalgae refugium in sump (was trying to outcompete) and added our bioreactor with pellets to reduce our very high nitrates and very high phosphates (as algae dies, it releases those...) and going back to Vibrant and live phyto with bioreactor.

OP
OP
T

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run a sump with macro algae. I don't want to dose any products like vibrant. In the past I did used to dose microbacter7 with every water change. If I were to dose vibrant it might solve my algae and cyano issue but it would also remove the small amount of nutrients I have in my system and for sure kill my zoas etc.

I'm trying to find a way to eradicate my cyano and algae issues while also being able to raise my nutrients a bit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back