Zoas and Rock Nems on same rock?

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what the title says. Has anyone had experience with those two on the same display rock?

I have a fairly large piece (for my tank anyway) of live rock in my DT and am currently placing zoa frags and colonies all over it in the hopes it will soon be a proper garden of zoas! Only other thing on the rock is about 6 smallish green/ purple rock anemones and a minute cluster of mint green palys on the very corner. The bottom and sides are covered in pink and purple sponge.

Will the rock nems be able to live on there without frying the zoas it comes into contact with? And if not what is the best practice to remove them, without harming them if at all possible of course?
I will post a pic once the daytime lights come on today.

Thanks!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest Ive ever put zoas and rock nems were about 2" away (when the nem was fully extended).
They were fine.
BUT I have a discosoma mushroom thats being burnt by a nem at the moment-they have physical contact. I just havnt had a minute to get into the tank to work on it.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the rock with the zoas and rock nems. What do you guys think? Should I get rid of the nems? They were hitch hikers on this rock, so I have no ties with them on this particular rock.
Excuse the closed zoas, just had a couple cleaner shrimp crawl across the faces....
14875365922981013455056.jpg

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170116_204100.jpg

Not the best pic but I have at least 5 rock nems on this rock of zoa's and palys. I think they killed some of the polyps but as long as they're not constantly moving I have no problem with that

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the rock with the zoas and rock nems. What do you guys think? Should I get rid of the nems? They were hitch hikers on this rock, so I have no ties with them on this particular rock.
Excuse the closed zoas, just had a couple cleaner shrimp crawl across the faces....
14875365922981013455056.jpg
Well those will grow to about 2-3 inches full grown. About a year per inch give or take. They won't let the zoas grow where they want to be lol so they have the potential of killing some. Those Radioactive ones look pretty close...

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few rock nems that are 4+" all surrounded by various corals. It comes with a mature tank. I don't care about the rastas dyng, or any others as they grow fast enough as is. Like I said some have been killed already. Those nems pictured have been there a year+ already

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so thats kind of what I thought. Does anyone have any ideas on removing them from the rock? I dont mind them really, but I def like the zoas better.
I know they move around when they want to because most of them were on the underside of the rock when I added it a couple months ago. Maybe keep irritating them and they will vacate?! Haha!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I sell my baby nems I take my Dremel and score around the rock then take curved bone cutters and pry out the scored part. But I have super dense tonga in that tank. With regular live rock you could just do a dremel or bone cutters or a chisel.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back