Zoas coexistence?

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, perhaps this has been addressed but I’m not seeing it.
I have two rocks in my display with mixed zoas. Initially they were cute frags then amazing growth. WOW! And now it’s dang it slow down and leave room for the neighbor!
Will they thrive together or should I remove the slower grower to another spot?

6077A0A3-D59E-42DD-8B68-5CE78DCC22CB.jpeg

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two rocks in my display with mixed zoas. Initially they were cute frags then amazing growth. WOW! And now it’s dang it slow down and leave room for the neighbor!

I have 7 different types of zoas growing next to each other. I don’t see one win vs another, just compete. For example my hurricanes and AOIs grow at about the same rate. Once the colonies met they intertangled. Once all that space was taken up, they went vertical. They will literally stretch to get above each other and it’s like a race to the top. So instead of a flat colony, it’s a mound.
Similar thing happened when they met my utter chaos. The utter chaos tried to extend up above the others, and the others started growing up the sides of the utter chaos. Not hurting each other, just competing for space.
6BD18653-A244-4F10-BCEA-813C6210E9D6.jpeg

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was hoping for. The pics of your tanks are awesome. Thanks guys
Guess I’ll leave them alone and let nature take it’s course.
Have you had any actually die because another overpowered them?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aggression that I’m aware of. In my previous tank 1 type would do better than another. I never worked out why. It certainly wasn’t a lack of nitrate or phosphate, that’s for sure. :)

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have. Just to the expensive, slow growing ones of course. I had some get overgrown and choked out until the polyps would pop off the rock and float away.

B5991A34-7429-4F78-96E5-14F8E1CE4D11.jpeg

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I like to do is remove the plug after some zoas have taken hold on the rock. Cut them free from the plug before you pry it off and you can leave some behind and move the plug somewhere else

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aggression that I’m aware of. In my previous tank 1 type would do better than another. I never worked out why. It certainly wasn’t a lack of nitrate or phosphate, that’s for sure. :)
That’s funny!
My nitrates and phosphates are showing low
2.5 ppm
And 0 both on Salifert and Hanna
and I’m still battling algae.
I know it’s not a ‘real’ zero but I can’t test any lower
I’m using a phosban reactor with GFO and I ordered an additional cleanup crew about a month ago which is working full time
Corals are growing and don’t look stressed
What can I say?

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. Just to the expensive, slow growing ones of course. I had some get overgrown and choked out until the polyps would pop off the rock and float away.

B5991A34-7429-4F78-96E5-14F8E1CE4D11.jpeg
Of course! It’s always the crown jewel that gets attacked and overpowered by a weed.
Lol
I’m a little concerned about fragging the zoas. I’ve never done it and want to be safe about it.

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! It’s always the crown jewel that gets attacked and overpowered by a weed.
Lol
I’m a little concerned about fragging the zoas. I’ve never done it and want to be safe about it.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve never been too worried but gloves and glasses are a good precaution. I just go in the tank with a razor and push straight through. Then grab the plug with tweezers and pry it loose. From what I’ve read mostly what people need to worry about are some of the larger palys. Just avoid squeezing them and try to get a clean cut rather than tearing them.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

I’ve never been too worried but gloves and glasses are a good precaution. I just go in the tank with a razor and push straight through. Then grab the plug with tweezers and pry it loose. From what I’ve read mostly what people need to worry about are some of the larger palys. Just avoid squeezing them and try to get a clean cut rather than tearing them.
[/QUOTE]
Will do.
Thanks for the guidance

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back