Zoas dilation

mattzzz100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

New to R2R here! Signed up to ask a question about the zoas I have. After having them in my tank for a few weeks they tend to get longer skirts and also dilated colors. Pics of before and after of my fruitloop and eagle eyes below.
Before: After:
Fruit Loop (new).jpg FruitLoop (old).jpg
Eagle eye (new).jpg Eagle eye (old).jpg

Does anyone know the possible reasons they are doing this? Ive read it could be low flow and low light but asking to see if there could be another reason.

Thanks

Matt

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

From everything I've read and my experience, the Skirt length can change also depending on flow. Higher flow, the longer the skirts seem to be.

As far as coloration, Lighting as others have said. Zooxanthelle increase in numbers as there is more light to be absorbed. Zooxanthelle in large amounts turn brown and dull out the color of the zoanthid.

If there is too little light, you would most likely see the polyps stretching towards the lights, mine that I have under a current orbit led which is not as powerful as some others do this. Now the dulling does not mean that there is too much light, this just means there is a lot. If there is too much light, the polyps will close to protect themselves, I have not seen zoas bleach like some other corals due when there is too much light.

As with everything, take this with a grain of salt and keep doing some research. This is what I believe I have read/ heard/ experienced throughout my time reefing. I could always be wrong and have gotten something confused somewhere along the line. I always hope other members here will correct me if I am wrong.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Yeah I agree with what @DSC reef said. Let them acclimate fully and adjust from there. Try different placement in the tank and if you do adjust your intensity upwards do it slowly over a week or so. 1-2% every other day. See how they respond and go from there.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome,zoa's are a mystery sometimes.like was said above put some high and some low and see what happens.you should get a good idea from doing that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back