Zoas extended and not opening

Jtwinn26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had three types of zoas for a few months now and randomly they aren’t opening now and are extending towards the light. Any ideas?

salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Cal 435
Mag 1230
Phos 0.1
Nitrate 5

OP
OP
J

Jtwinn26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often, extension is indicative of searching for more light. Closed polyps might mean too much flow? Pics might help.
I was thinking the same thing but I haven’t changed the light or flow and they used to be fine and growing.

OP
OP
J

Jtwinn26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 95

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of them
I have 5 zoa frags that look about like that: extended, but not open. They were that way for about 3 weeks in QT and now a week in display. I dipped in H2O2, coral RX and bayer, no change. In QT, I tried different light and flow, no change. Strangely enough, they were open and looking great the first week in QT.

They've right next to two zoa colonies that have been in my DT for months. The old ones look great, and I'm baffled. I also have two more frags that are closed and not extended for over a month.

But non have melted away yet, as I read they do when they die. So I guess my advice is that they frags may not be in immediate danger.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pseudorand is correct that zoas are only dead after they’ve completely melted (they will disappear completely and it’s not harmful to anything in your tank if this occurs unless it’s a very large number of zoas like 30+ at least). Tall stalks are definitely indicative of a lighting issue, and they should be given more light. The reason behind them failing to open could be a lack of iodine in the water. Are either of you dosing a trace element/iodine solution and what are your water change schedules? If you think this may be an issue, I’d pick up an iodine supplement (there are many available, choose one that works well for your tank’s size and your schedule) and do a water change, you should see them open within 5 days of those changes if iodine is the issue :)

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pseudorand is correct that zoas are only dead after they’ve completely melted (they will disappear completely and it’s not harmful to anything in your tank if this occurs unless it’s a very large number of zoas like 30+ at least). Tall stalks are definitely indicative of a lighting issue, and they should be given more light. The reason behind them failing to open could be a lack of iodine in the water. Are either of you dosing a trace element/iodine solution and what are your water change schedules? If you think this may be an issue, I’d pick up an iodine supplement (there are many available, choose one that works well for your tank’s size and your schedule) and do a water change, you should see them open within 5 days of those changes if iodine is the issue :)
This is why @footgal is amazing

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth testing for iodine prior to dosing? A water change is certainly a good idea when things seem out of whack.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth testing for iodine prior to dosing? A water change is certainly a good idea when things seem out of whack.
It's very difficult to test for iodine. The best kit is Red Sea but even that is still wildly inaccurate because iodine must occur in such small amounts. The only real way to test for it is through ICP but often, that is too time-consuming and the zoas have already deteriorated beyond the point of saving them by the time a test comes back. Iodine in a reef tank is also essential for inverts like hermits, crabs, and shrimp to successfully molt so it's good to have some in there anyway.

Water changes are usually a cure-all for me anyway. Hammers not extending all the way? Water change. Mushrooms a little shriveled? Water change. SPS not looking its best? Water change. I don't know what it is about water changes but they work miracles.

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do test for iodine using red sea, but I never supplement because it always comes up within range. But perhaps my zoa frags just need some more time in display.

I do biweekly 15%s, and my experience with them is also good. Except that two Monti frags I thought were doing well after a week in display started bleaching after my first water change. (Yes, I matched temp and salinity carefully. Could be al lot of things.)

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very difficult to test for iodine. The best kit is Red Sea but even that is still wildly inaccurate because iodine must occur in such small amounts. The only real way to test for it is through ICP but often, that is too time-consuming and the zoas have already deteriorated beyond the point of saving them by the time a test comes back. Iodine in a reef tank is also essential for inverts like hermits, crabs, and shrimp to successfully molt so it's good to have some in there anyway.

Water changes are usually a cure-all for me anyway. Hammers not extending all the way? Water change. Mushrooms a little shriveled? Water change. SPS not looking its best? Water change. I don't know what it is about water changes but they work miracles.
Makes sense. I try to live by the old adage "don't dose what you don't test," but if the tests aren't useful, I suppose it isn't worth it. Thanks for the intel!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I try to live by the old adage "don't dose what you don't test," but if the tests aren't useful, I suppose it isn't worth it. Thanks for the intel!
It’s always good to get an ICP every 6 months or so, maybe once a year after you feel your tank is mature and stable. It just lets you know your kits are working, there’s no contaminants, and you’re doing good with trace elements. It’s mostly for peace of mind but it may also reveal something you never even thought about!

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jtwinn26 sorry to revive your thread but curious what happened. I have a similar story with Sunny D's that are like your picture. They were happy before in the exact same location. I know my nitrates are close to 0 so debating dosing NeoNitro but not sure. Curious if your situation resolved and what did you do?

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sunny D's were the same as in post #5 for weeks. Here is what I did to get them to fully open:
1. Raised my nitrates from 0ppm to 10ppm
2. Increased phospates to 0.03 (not sure if this did anything)
3. Dipped in Revive for 5 minutes and removed a bit of algae with a tooth brush.
4. Moved sunny D's a bit higher.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Back