Zoa's for high intensity light

Lyngsaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of planning a pillar that I would like to cover in Zoa's. The Pillar (marked with an arrow on the picture) has the tip aprox 12 cm below the water line and I have a Redsea LED50 light running at 70% blue and 30% white. So I reccon the Zoa would be blasted with 250-200 PAR (Do not have a PAR meter so it's a bit guesswork on my side). Flow would be medium and rather turbulent (no direct flow though).

I was hoping for some suggestions for Zoa's that could thrive in a rather bright location. My initial plan was

1) Sunny D
2) Rasta

Looking for Zoa's with bright colorations (it will be flanked by a Candycane on one side (left side of the pillar) and Frogspawn (Right side of the pillar) - Slightly concerned that the sweepers from the frogspawn would create issues, but will place it as far as I can to the right.

Any suggestions are most welcome

FTS edit.png

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my prior experience, Rastas didn't do well in higher light. I had great success with armor of gods, utter chaos and cornbread rainbow infusion in high light (actually did better than compared to low light). These are in 250 - 300 and growing quick. The deep water zoas, not so much (bam bams, fruit loops, rastas, eagle eye, etc. all did better in shaded regions of my SPS tank)

I just got WWC's AOI and have had WWC illuminatis for about 6 weeks and both, so far, seem to do well in high light as well.

I'm not a Zoa guy but this is my experience with what I have.

Here's a pic:
Utter Rainbow.jpg

OP
OP
Lyngsaa

Lyngsaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NBurg, thanks for the suggestions. I actually thought utter Chaos would be for lower light conditions. Have a frag of them i was planning for a zoa garden low in the tank. Might be i should move them up to my pillar.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In lower light, my UC lost most of its color (maybe another factor) but they grew long stalks as well, in higher light, they are much brighter and more orange. In my pic, they’re still recovering from a move where they were in lower light. They’re getting more orange back in the oral disk area.

this is at least my experience with them so there may be other factors to my experience but they can definitely handle light.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few zoas in 200-320 par.

My scrambled eggs and stargazers are in around 200-250ish par. I believe stargazers could color up some more but overall I’m happy with them. The scrambled eggs look amazing and add a little pop to the tank with the blues.
B4D1B215-ABAA-489B-B0B9-9E196239878A.jpeg
C72EA7EC-C79F-4425-950F-64C10C5F5B72.jpeg
8E869F5D-C9D9-42C0-9878-9F66C3D84CAD.jpeg
DC3C7DF3-7941-4520-B30B-29DA52CA1CF3.jpeg

I have blue eyed blondes in 250-320 par. And I believe have beautiful color (one of my favorite zoas).
EA90B539-01DC-45AC-81CE-D68FA63FB788.jpeg

OP
OP
Lyngsaa

Lyngsaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eccellent, Thanks for the suggestions. Actually have Some scrambled eggs located at the bottom og my my tank not looking too happy, light need to move them up higher.

Managed to melt some bbeb, so wait a bit before getting new ones. But beautiful zoa.

Blue hornet would that work in high light?

Camron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but has anyone ever thought of compiling some of this data into a cheat sheet? It would be nice to know exactly what par works with which zoas. Could even add in pictures. This is especially true considering the amount of control people have over their lighting now.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eccellent, Thanks for the suggestions. Actually have Some scrambled eggs located at the bottom og my my tank not looking too happy, light need to move them up higher.

Managed to melt some bbeb, so wait a bit before getting new ones. But beautiful zoa.

Blue hornet would that work in high light?

My blue hornets lost their color in higher light, i moved them and they have colored back up.

Just a thought, but has anyone ever thought of compiling some of this data into a cheat sheet? It would be nice to know exactly what par works with which zoas. Could even add in pictures. This is especially true considering the amount of control people have over their lighting now.

I started a thread called "higher vs lower light zoas" or something like that. It kinda stalled out but theres some good info there

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue hornets lost their color in higher light, i moved them and they have colored back up.

I started a thread called "higher vs lower light zoas" or something like that. It kinda stalled out but theres some good info there
Could you post the link to that ?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back