Higher vs lower light zoas/palys

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name a zoa/paly in your tank that needs higher light and one that needs lower light. Ill start.

High light: Rainbow infusion. Its an inch tall and one inch under the water directly under an ai prime 16 hd 9 inches over the water at 35% blue and purps.

Low Light: blue hornet. I may have just shocked it switching tanks. But the entire pattern turned dark blue. Its coming back nicely now tho.

Its difficult sometimes to know where to put a zoa/paly hoping we can compile some good info here.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher light: Sunny D : So they can be grown in high or low light yes but I got the bigger and brighter polyps when they were near the surface of my 10 gallon nuvo with an AI prime at the BRS AB+ spectrum

Low Light : WWC Pink Krak :Have kept these in high lighting however it loses the black detail, I found that to keep the detail I need it off to the side and lower down in the lower par areas...

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher light: Petroglyphs / Mohawks / gobbstoppers / pink constellations all reach for the sky when placed too low in my tank. Higher up they lay flatter and bigger.

Lower light: Aphrodite - did ok under high PAR but opens better a little farther away but not bottom of the tank.

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher light: Everbrite Palys, Keds reds, rainbow incinerators

Low light: goblins fire these hated being acclimated just off my sand bed to keep my pistol shrimp from stealing them. They love the bottom of my tank off to the side.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher light: Everbrite Palys, Keds reds, rainbow incinerators

Low light: goblins fire these hated being acclimated just off my sand bed to keep my pistol shrimp from stealing them. They love the bottom of my tank off to the side.

Good to know about the goblins, thanks! I put mine in the corner to acclimate. They shall stay there. They grow pretty fast right?

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the goblins, thanks! I put mine in the corner to acclimate. They shall stay there. They grow pretty fast right?
Yeah once you find a happy spot they will do well. I got mine in mid July since then it’s put on probably 5-6 new polyps. Mine lay very flat. They don’t seem to be a zoa that has a stock for height.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah once you find a happy spot they will do well. I got mine in mid July since then it’s put on probably 5-6 new polyps. Mine lay very flat. They don’t seem to be a zoa that has a stock for height.
Nice, i just noticed mine is sprouting a few new heads and i only got it a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the advise!

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher light: Sunny D : So they can be grown in high or low light yes but I got the bigger and brighter polyps when they were near the surface of my 10 gallon nuvo with an AI prime at the BRS AB+ spectrum

Low Light : WWC Pink Krak :Have kept these in high lighting however it loses the black detail, I found that to keep the detail I need it off to the side and lower down in the lower par areas...

higher: my sunny D also loves high light. Also pink Hippo, superpink paly.

medium to lower: most of my hornets and people eaters, utter chaos

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HIgher light : Insane Rainbows, Pink Constellations, Magicians, JF Kung Fu Fighters, Shazams, AOG's, Devils Armor, Spitfires, Pluto Passion, Circus, Blue Agaves, Pink Zippers, Psychosis, Hyper Jubilee, Frozen Apples, Rainbow Infusion

Medium Light : Little Shop of Horror, Krakens, Yodas, Black Orchids, Pink Ring of Death, AOI's, JF Stargazers/DaisyCutters,
Johnny Pumpkin Seeds, Saturn Rings, Miami Vice, Emeralds on Fire, Solar Eclipse. Lunar Eclipse

Low Light : Pink Hallucinations, Campfires, Utter Chaos, Hallucinations, Goblins on Fire, El Corazons

As for lighting parameters in my tank, without the clear mesh cover, my PAR numbers are from 50 in the corners, 80 on the sides up to 180 in the middle. Tank is a Lowboy 50g with a Radion XR15PRO on one end and a Reefbreeders Photon V2+ on the other end. Many of these, can and do, cross into the other lighting ranges. They will usually gain/lose coloration and gain/lose polyps size going up or down in lighting.
Flow also has an impact on growth and health. I have been finding that many that I have had in low flow, can tollerate a medium flow and actually grow better, so I have been slowly adjusting that.

There are a few, that over the years, still have me stumped on the optimum lighting. So if anyone can help me there, that would be great. Those would be : Acid Reflux, on my 3rd try with these. Pretty much all of the Hornets. The Reds are doing the best for me. I have those in medium lighting. The blues are just kind of hanging on in low to mid, as are the rainbows.
The Jawbreaker Hornets grow great, but cannot get the nice defined white center. (I personally think these are ones that can only get the decent colors from T5s)

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HIgher light : Insane Rainbows, Pink Constellations, Magicians, JF Kung Fu Fighters, Shazams, AOG's, Devils Armor, Spitfires, Pluto Passion, Circus, Blue Agaves, Pink Zippers, Psychosis, Hyper Jubilee, Frozen Apples, Rainbow Infusion

Medium Light : Little Shop of Horror, Krakens, Yodas, Black Orchids, Pink Ring of Death, AOI's, JF Stargazers/DaisyCutters,
Johnny Pumpkin Seeds, Saturn Rings, Miami Vice, Emeralds on Fire, Solar Eclipse. Lunar Eclipse

Low Light : Pink Hallucinations, Campfires, Utter Chaos, Hallucinations, Goblins on Fire, El Corazons

As for lighting parameters in my tank, without the clear mesh cover, my PAR numbers are from 50 in the corners, 80 on the sides up to 180 in the middle. Tank is a Lowboy 50g with a Radion XR15PRO on one end and a Reefbreeders Photon V2+ on the other end. Many of these, can and do, cross into the other lighting ranges. They will usually gain/lose coloration and gain/lose polyps size going up or down in lighting.
Flow also has an impact on growth and health. I have been finding that many that I have had in low flow, can tollerate a medium flow and actually grow better, so I have been slowly adjusting that.

There are a few, that over the years, still have me stumped on the optimum lighting. So if anyone can help me there, that would be great. Those would be : Acid Reflux, on my 3rd try with these. Pretty much all of the Hornets. The Reds are doing the best for me. I have those in medium lighting. The blues are just kind of hanging on in low to mid, as are the rainbows.
The Jawbreaker Hornets grow great, but cannot get the nice defined white center. (I personally think these are ones that can only get the decent colors from T5s)
In my experience the blue hornets like lower maybe medium light and the rainbows about medium, acid reflux’s seem to like around 60 par lower light in my tank and flow is super important the hornets I had loved medium to medium/high flow the blue hornets less so... and the acid reflux’s enjoy swaying in the flow so medium/low flow kinda

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great info, thanks! I think a lowboy is next for me. So much room for activities!! Id love to have some blanket lighting too. Do you think reef brites are as good as T5 for that and zoas in general?

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the blue hornets like lower maybe medium light and the rainbows about medium, acid reflux’s seem to like around 60 par lower light in my tank and flow is super important the hornets I had loved medium to medium/high flow the blue hornets less so... and the acid reflux’s enjoy swaying in the flow so medium/low flow kinda
Maybe it was the flow that took the faces off my hornets, they were kinda under some direct flow, not crazy, but too direct... thanks for the info!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was the flow that took the faces off my hornets, they were kinda under some direct flow, not crazy, but too direct... thanks for the info!
No problem ! The rainbow hornets I had I had them directly in front of the return and they were growing well but the blue hornets I had to acclimate them in a lower spot lol lost a few getting it right

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, thanks! I think a lowboy is next for me. So much room for activities!! Id love to have some blanket lighting too. Do you think reef brites are as good as T5 for that and zoas in general?
I can't attest to the Reefbrites, but T5's are definately proven zoa growers. In my opinion, there are certain strains that thrive under T5's, but struggle or never reach their full potential under LED's.(Jawbreaker Hornets and Leprachauns for example).
I will be experimenting with the Orphek blue light bars soon. All I know about them so far is that they provide exceptional coral colors, but they are powerful than you'd think.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me what type of light Illuminatis like? also i heard they like higher flow, can anyone corroborate?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back