OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink diamonds like high light but they were fine with medium light.

Thanks man! mine have been doing ok in medium and was a little worried about moving them to a higher light spot. This makes me feel better

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a very informative thread! What are the lighting/flow requirements for the following:

- illuminati
- AIO
- mohican sun
- radioactive drago eye

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Illuminatis in about 150 par with medium flow and they are doing well.
My AOI's are scattered everywhere and growing like weeds. I think I could put a frag in my garage and they would grow!
Polyp size varies a little with these based on location.......still a "must have" in my book.
One thing that I have noticed regarding zoa growth, is that once a frag reaches about 6 or 7 polyps, it seems to become healthier and stronger. I used to be tempted to frag those 2 or 3 polyps off at the edge, but now I am waiting.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much light/flow are your pink diamonds thriving in?
I have mine in medium/low light, medium/high flow... they’re under where the streams from my gyre and Nero 5 collide so it’s random and turbulent to say the least they do well... I’m not having luck with getting my Illuminati’s big and thriving so I probs would wait for someone else to tell you about those hahah

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a very informative thread! What are the lighting/flow requirements for the following:

- illuminati
- AIO
- mohican sun
- radioactive drago eye
My illuminatis weren't full opening in a really low flow area. Someone told me they like higher flow so i moved them and they opened the first day i moved them. The AOIs are very versatile, i had some that got suffocated out by space chaos, they looked like little nubs when i finally fragged the space choas. It took a few weeks but they are back to full size and full health and are growing well. Id say about 5 new polyps this month after being next to dead 2 months ago. AOI are awesome but i only run whites at a very low % for about 4 hours a day so i dont get to really appreciate them, just keep that in mind for anyone thinking about getting some that run mostly blues.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I wanted to recap and add a few of my own. If you disagree with this list let me know. These are broad generalizations for lighting requirements for zoanthids, but in general:

HIgh-light >180 Par: Rainbow Infusion, Sunny D, Mohawks, Gobstopper, Everbright, Supper Pink Paly, Insane Rainbows, Pink Constellations, Magicians, JF Kung Fu Fighters, Shazams, AOG's, Devils Armor, Spitfires, Pluto Passion, Circus, Blue Agaves, Pink Zippers, Psychosis, Hyper Jubilee, Frozen Apples, Candy Apple Red, Illuminatas, Petroglyph, Keds Red, Bowsers

Medium-Light ~80-180 Par: Utter Chaos, Little Shop of Horror, Krakens, Yodas, Black Orchids, Pink Ring of Death, AOI's, JF Stargazers/DaisyCutters, Johnny Pumpkin Seeds, Saturn Rings, Miami Vice, Emeralds on Fire, Solar Eclipse, Lunar Eclipse, Purple People Eaters, Beauty and the Beast Paly, Blue Russian, Pink Diamonds, Rainbow Hornets

Low Light ~ < 80 par: Pink Hallucinations, Campfires, Utter Chaos, Hallucinations, Goblins on Fire, El Corazon, Aphrodites, WWC Pink Kraken, Blue Hornet, Scrambled Eggs, Acid Reflux

Last edited:

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome you took the time to put together a list! I know that different zoas want different PAR numbers to really color up and thrive. I think the general agreement on range is 75-150 PAR. I’m going to shoot for 100 PAR on my next tank - happy medium I hope.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone know where the sweet spot is for Grand Master Kraks?

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread because I just purchased several new zoas from Ultra Corals. Anyone perhaps @footgal , with some thoughts on the PAR and flow for the following:

- murder hornets
- devils errand
- hush money
- suckups
- SBB aphrodite

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread because I just purchased several new zoas from Ultra Corals. Anyone perhaps @footgal , with some thoughts on the PAR and flow for the following:

- murder hornets
- devils errand
- hush money
- suckups
- SBB aphrodite
All regular stuff. The hush money and murder hornets would probably appreciate a little less light starting out since they’ve got a lot of black but they should all be fine in your regular zoa garden

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HIgher light : Insane Rainbows, Pink Constellations, Magicians, JF Kung Fu Fighters, Shazams, AOG's, Devils Armor, Spitfires, Pluto Passion, Circus, Blue Agaves, Pink Zippers, Psychosis, Hyper Jubilee, Frozen Apples, Rainbow Infusion

Medium Light : Little Shop of Horror, Krakens, Yodas, Black Orchids, Pink Ring of Death, AOI's, JF Stargazers/DaisyCutters,
Johnny Pumpkin Seeds, Saturn Rings, Miami Vice, Emeralds on Fire, Solar Eclipse. Lunar Eclipse

Low Light : Pink Hallucinations, Campfires, Utter Chaos, Hallucinations, Goblins on Fire, El Corazons

As for lighting parameters in my tank, without the clear mesh cover, my PAR numbers are from 50 in the corners, 80 on the sides up to 180 in the middle. Tank is a Lowboy 50g with a Radion XR15PRO on one end and a Reefbreeders Photon V2+ on the other end. Many of these, can and do, cross into the other lighting ranges. They will usually gain/lose coloration and gain/lose polyps size going up or down in lighting.
Flow also has an impact on growth and health. I have been finding that many that I have had in low flow, can tollerate a medium flow and actually grow better, so I have been slowly adjusting that.

There are a few, that over the years, still have me stumped on the optimum lighting. So if anyone can help me there, that would be great. Those would be : Acid Reflux, on my 3rd try with these. Pretty much all of the Hornets. The Reds are doing the best for me. I have those in medium lighting. The blues are just kind of hanging on in low to mid, as are the rainbows.
The Jawbreaker Hornets grow great, but cannot get the nice defined white center. (I personally think these are ones that can only get the decent colors from T5s)
My Hornets seem to be happiest in lower light. I was 90-100 PAR for my Hornet garden and things were grumpy. I bumped down to 75-80 and everything opened up... a little late for my Murder Hornets (melted :( ) but the other 9 varieties seem much happier.

All are what I consider medium flow.
20210424_153434.jpg

Attachments

• 20210428_150120.jpg
    20210428_150120.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210424_153354.jpg
    20210424_153354.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210424_153332.jpg
    20210424_153332.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 26

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- murder hornets
- devils errand
- hush money
- suckups
- SBB aphrodite

My Murder Hornets melted in 100 PAR, so find a shady spot, at least until they acclimate to your light. I bumped my lights down a bit, but it was too late. I'm hunting for another frag now. :(

Anyone have PAR and flow recommendations for Gold Maul zoas?

My Gold Mauls are doing great in about 80 PAR.

hey what about grand master kraks? footgal any info would be awesome

My GMKs are in 100 PAR and looking AWESOME!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back