Zoas - How long until your new ones open?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it normally take you for newly added zoas to open and be happy? I added a few types of zoas very late on Tuesday night and as of now (Thursday morning), I've only seen one of the four types fully open. Two have opened partially but not fully extended, and the last one has opened a super tiny amount to where I can see colour but nothing else. I'm assuming I just need to wait a little longer as one has already opened but I am curious to see how long it takes other people.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the variation. I have had some open immediately and others not until I moved them to a more ‘desired’ location in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How long does it normally take you for newly added zoas to open and be happy? I added a few types of zoas very late on Tuesday night and as of now (Thursday morning), I've only seen one of the four types fully open. Two have opened partially but not fully extended, and the last one has opened a super tiny amount to where I can see colour but nothing else. I'm assuming I just need to wait a little longer as one has already opened but I am curious to see how long it takes other people.
Like GSP coral, when acclimated correctly and offered the proper lighting (start low - more blue) and water flow, will open in 6-48 hours. Assure not on sand but lower third of tank is best

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the variation. I have had some open immediately and others not until I moved them to a more ‘desired’ location in the tank.
All are on the same rock so maybe I just need to give it more time. I’ll keep this in mind specifically for the one that hasn’t opened much yet!

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like GSP coral, when acclimated correctly and offered the proper lighting (start low - more blue) and water flow, will open in 6-48 hours. Assure not on sand but lower third of tank is best
Have not hit the 48 hour mark yet so there is still some time. Yes I have a small rock island that they are all on together!

josh1591

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the zoa. I have ones that will open within a couple hours when adding to my tank. Others have taken a few days to open. I would agree with you that it's a good sign a few of them have opened. Some just take a few days to adjust so I wouldn't worry too much. I've heard people report that it takes a few weeks for some to completely get comfortable in the tank. If they haven't opened after a couple weeks then I would start to be worried that something with your parameters or lighting might be off.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 min or less in most cases, but there could be a reason for them not opening. Do you have any pictures? These are all I have currently, I've had them in other systems plenty of times.

20221025_212706.jpg

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 min or less in most cases, but there could be a reason for them not opening. Do you have any pictures? These are all I have currently, I've had them in other systems plenty of times.

20221025_212706.jpg
These are them currently. Sorry for blue pic, my filter lens comes in in a few days haha. I also changed my lighting preset last night so I may have redisturbed them

Attachments

• 70CD0209-5A93-4425-8E09-407D553A33C9.jpeg
    70CD0209-5A93-4425-8E09-407D553A33C9.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 8C6750FD-D805-4195-9803-78F5E034D6AD.jpeg
    8C6750FD-D805-4195-9803-78F5E034D6AD.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the zoa. I have ones that will open within a couple hours when adding to my tank. Others have taken a few days to open. I would agree with you that it's a good sign a few of them have opened. Some just take a few days to adjust so I wouldn't worry too much. I've heard people report that it takes a few weeks for some to completely get comfortable in the tank. If they haven't opened after a couple weeks then I would start to be worried that something with your parameters or lighting might be off.
Thank you! I will keep this in mind and try to calm down lol. The krakatoa opened quick but the others are definitely taking their time.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had plenty of zoas that take days, even up to 2 weeks to fully open. Don't worry about them not opening right away. They'll get more comfy ;)

I'd only start to worry if the zoas start to "melt" away.
None of them seem to be melting which is good. Thanks for the reassurance, I think I worry too much lol

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are them currently. Sorry for blue pic, my filter lens comes in in a few days haha. I also changed my lighting preset last night so I may have redisturbed them
Looks like they are settling in to me, but I always take the advice of reefers like @vetteguy53081. In my experience the brighter color ones tend to be more temperamental when put in a new tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Notice location of some of mine
660g 3.30e.jpg
660g 3.30f.jpg

Attachments

• 660g 3.30e.jpg
    660g 3.30e.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 660g 3.30f.jpg
    660g 3.30f.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back