Zoa's not opening?

CherryBlossom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in a BioCube 29gallon with no upgrades done to anything...

I've had them for over a month or two now, they were open for the longest time and then BANG! They closed up, I've tried different places to put them and still nothing... Any suggestions? Should I do a dip? And if so what do I use?

3u6ehymy.jpg

y6yje4ep.jpg

Thanks guys!

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't changed light, water parameter, feeding schedule, salt mixed?

OP
OP
CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't changed anything except cut back on my feeding times... Checked all my water and salt levels and their fine

Haven't changed my lights and I haven't even had this tank that long

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One aptasia won't caused the whole colony to closed. You could buy Aquavision Aptasia remover to kill it.

How long did they open before closed?

OP
OP
CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were open a few weeks, my turbo snails kept knocking them over and then they just stayed closed, one stayed open longer before it decided to close as well

I've tried placing them in different spots with no luck, now I've put them back where they were in the first place, last night was the first night I seem them try to open again

Can I do a dip on them? And what would I use to do so? Just to make sure their isn't anything bothering them

I have lots of pods in my tank that are crawling on them, could this be why?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they close when they're stressed out and then open again without a problem. I doubt anything crawling on them is a problem. Mine have stayed closed after a light change, a change in ph, having crabs crawl on them and moving them. They've always reopened. Good luck!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an aptasia explosion in the last few months and even with 1 tiny aptasia on one edge of a colony will make the whole colony close. If i can remove the colony I use kalkwasser with a little bit of water and a toothpick. If it's in the tank I use a syringe with a fat needle or a friend of mine has lend me an aptasia zapper but I'm not sure if the zapper is as good as the kalk yet.

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were open a few weeks, my turbo snails kept knocking them over and then they just stayed closed, one stayed open longer before it decided to close as well

I've tried placing them in different spots with no luck, now I've put them back where they were in the first place, last night was the first night I seem them try to open again

Can I do a dip on them? And what would I use to do so? Just to make sure their isn't anything bothering them

I have lots of pods in my tank that are crawling on them, could this be why?

Get rid of the turbo snail or glue your frag down to the rock. Leave it alone and it will open again. Kill the aptasia before it explode to thousand in your tank

OP
OP
CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm going to look for some of the things you suggested to kill it, I have two in my tank one on the Zoa and another on the rock! Tried boiling hot water with injecting it into it... Didn't work it came back

I will also get some glue this weekend to glue them down

FragDaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia x works well, just stay on top of them before they get out of hand. Furan2 is what I dip my zoas in and it seems to be a miracle cure so far.

OP
OP
CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia x works well, just stay on top of them before they get out of hand. Furan2 is what I dip my zoas in and it seems to be a miracle cure so far.

Thanks FragDaddy,
Can the Aiptasia X be done directly in the tank or do I have to take the infected pieces out and do it?

I will also look for Furan2, but I may have to order it online... Any good sites where I can order stuff like this?

Zoanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can apply App X directly to it while in the tank. I let it sit for 30 minutes before turning the powerheads back on, and be certain to remove any residue of it from the surrounding zoa polyps because it will melt them if you leave it over night.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back