Zoas not opening

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there dirty I usally dip them in hydrogen peroxide tho the algae is very stubborn
Do you dilute it or use it straight up? I would bet that also adds to the flesh coming off if you keep doing it at 100 percent strength.
A turkey baster like this will blow it all off no issues.
41IV7u5qy0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats up to you but wouldn't run more than 8 hrs a day.

luvp1rate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of these parameters ever change at all? How’s the flow and lighting in the tank?? Could be as simple as dipping your zoanthids in iodine or coral dip or treating with chemiclean any visible parasites ?
Second on that, i've had luck dipping some unruly corals before, such as my torch. Along with this, zoas tend to like iodine so it wouldn't hurt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A lot of parameter and dip chasing going on here. Not sure what todays' parameters are but they need to be left alone and stable.
Changing chemistry every other day is slowly killing them. A gentle blast from a turkey baster acceptable but other than that- not good.
MODERATE water flow and lighting heavier on blue favorable for them as is addition of a LITTLE iodine in the water.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of parameter and dip chasing going on here. Not sure what todays' parameters are but they need to be left alone and stable.
Changing chemistry every other day is slowly killing them. A gentle blast from a turkey baster acceptable but other than that- not good.
MODERATE water flow and lighting heavier on blue favorable for them as is addition of a LITTLE iodine in the water.
Sound advice

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I make it blow at maximum strength, its not strong enough to blow the algae
I dont know what to tell you there... You just squeeze a few times and it will come off after a few puffs. This is how people clean their rocks.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the advice above with going easy on the changes. My zoas closed up for about 3 weeks before I was able to get them to reopen. Just know that even if you correct the issue, they’re not going to suddenly open up overnight. If your water has some nutrients in it (doesn’t even have to be a lot), they should be able to ride it out. I’d just leave them alone at this point.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back