Zoas only opening on occasion

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an EVO 13.5 MIXED REEF. I have Duncan's, Kenya's, torches, hammers and more. The only corals that I'm having any issues with are my 3 Zoa colonies. For the last few weeks they will only open on a semi rare occasion. All other corals are acting fine. They are all in different parts of the tank, and I haven't seen any nudibranches or spiders on any of them. The coral will still illuminate under the blue light slightly so I know they aren't dead, HELP!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have an EVO 13.5 MIXED REEF. I have Duncan's, Kenya's, torches, hammers and more. The only corals that I'm having any issues with are my 3 Zoa colonies. For the last few weeks they will only open on a semi rare occasion. All other corals are acting fine. They are all in different parts of the tank, and I haven't seen any nudibranches or spiders on any of them. The coral will still illuminate under the blue light slightly so I know they aren't dead, HELP!!
Assure not too much light or flow
They don’t need the requirements of sps and many coral
I’d leathers are present, they may release a toxin known as terpenes and upset the zoa
Give them gentle blasts with a turkey baster to assure no sediment or mulm is annoying them

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leathers are present, they may release a toxin known as terpenes and upset the zoa
Give them gentle blasts with a turkey baster to assure no sediment or mulm is annoying them
Yes, I have a fair size leather. How can I tell if that's what is causing it?

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leather has been sliming recently also. Would the toxin effect any of my other corals?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back