zoas/palys died! need help

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all you zoa people!

I have a good amount of zoas in my 29g biocube and have had any problems with any of my corals.

but I recently lost most of my WOW palys. I watched them close up and then never really open again about a week ago and then the polyps just slowly disapeared! (I guess melted?)

I had about 4 adult heads on it and then it changed to 3 then 2 then 1. so I dipped it and then moved it to another spot in the tank.

now half of my yellow hornets were closed up last night so I am worried I am going to start losing those too. (I think I saw the start of some melting)

all my levels read 0
salinity is at .023
temp 77

Thoughts? ideas? suggestions?

thanks!

Sfgiants55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime sometimes zoas just die for no reason! They grow like crazy and become a huge colony and the next day they wither away down to half the size. From all the dips I have tried I would say try furan 2 if they don't start to look better. I know that this is proven just for zoa pox but I have had some zoas that did not have pox but did not look good either so I tried dipping them in furan 2 and had good results with this. Also check your phosphates when mine got too high after using bad RO water my zoas reacted negatively but recovered after I got the phosphates back down.

Last edited:

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you introduce anything new to the tank before the happened? like within a 4 week period

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya lately my RO has crapped out on me so I have had to use what is pretty much tap water! Im going to look for a new RO unit.

so Ill check the phosphates and see what it comes up as and get back to you.

but ya ive added new corals. only from a couple of trusted vendors on the site.

I dip all my corals in Revive

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back