Zoas/Palys Reaching for Light, Even After Increasing Intensity

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that I have several years of growing zoas/palys successfully, but have always struggled with some strains, such as Sunny D's, Nirvanas, Gobstoppers and most of the Vamp/Sonic Flare types to grow "tight to the plug". They always are "reaching" for the light. I'm not saying that they are not growing, just stretching. I have a 30g Deep Blue frag tank loaded with zoas. A few months ago I switched lighting to try to alleviate this problem. I went with a Radion XR15Pro flanked by 2 Blue+ T5's. The lights are 28" off of the bottom of the tank. I am running the Radiant Color schedule at 45%.
The T5's run about 5 hours mid day. After 4 months, I am finally happy with the growth and color with most, but I still have that problem with stretching and am nervous about increasing the intensity. I have all of those above mentioned frags in the middle of the tank, as that should be the area of highest par. I have noticed my Rainbow Incinerators polyp size decrease a little bit, but growth and color is great. I am worried if I incease the intensity too much to appease the "reachers", it may be a problem for the rest of the tank that is doing great. Flow is pretty good with a single RW8 and a powerful return pump with a split locline. Any ideas???
Or should I just bite the bullet, get a 60g frag tank and split the lighting so I have a hot side and milder side?

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stretching zoas are not always reaching for light,,some cases and I mean some cases when zoas stretch is they need more flow..I have massive multi directional flow in my one tank and not one polyp stretching ,,I would never of thought they would tolerate this much flow but they are liking it ..

OP
OP
danschoenherr

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking flow could be a factor, as my lighting changes did not make much of a difference. I do have a new gyre that I was thinking of using. I know people who have great results with zoas in 80 par up to 200 par, so I think there is a lot more going on than just lighting. Most posts regarding this end up with suggestions to up the lighting or move the frags up in the tank. I'm beginning to think that when people move their frags up higher, the frags are ending up in a higher flow area which yields a positive result.

OP
OP
danschoenherr

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maby bit the bullet and buy or rent a par meter.
Our local reef club has 2 par meters available to members, I just have not had time to get one to check my frag tank.
Are par meters considered "acurate" when used with led's yet, or is the science still out on that one?

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worst thing i ever did was waste money on sand,,,the best thing I ever did was get rid of the sand and the nutrient sink headache..after that I increased flow dramatically ,,not all zoas palys happy at first but grown accustomed to it and like it now..not much debris at all left in tank due to all the flow..
when zoas/palys get grumpy its usually low NO3 around 10 (usually try to keep NO3 around 25) and flow is lower due to dirty wave makers...
keep your wave makers clean.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local reef club has 2 par meters available to members, I just have not had time to get one to check my frag tank.
Are par meters considered "acurate" when used with led's yet, or is the science still out on that one?
There is no difference between the photons produced.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 123 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back