Zoas seem to be dying off??

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed that my zoas have been slowly disappearing. They are starting to shrivel up and eventually gone. Please help if you have any advice. Looks like some slimmy type stuff around them.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462234271.343064.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
and sorry, check for pests.

Any recent changes?

ere is the deal, I recently went from a 75g tank and moved so I bought an IM nuvo 40g to house my livestock until my new house is ready. Used 3/4 of the water from the 75g which has been up and running with great success for about 3 yrs. once I got my nuvo up and cycling, took tests and were;

PH:8.2
Ammonia:0
Nitrate: about 5ppm
Nitrite:5ppm
Calcium: was high over 500
Salinity:1.26

I don't think I have a alk test kit in my reef kit from Api and I remember my phosphate and hardness were fine.
I am using RODI water with brand new filters and resin.

All my 4 fish seem to be doing fine as well as all my corals with the exception of my Kenya tree and NOW my zoas.

Reefnoobie12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed that my zoas have been slowly disappearing. They are starting to shrivel up and eventually gone. Please help if you have any advice. Looks like some slimmy type stuff around them.
Mine were doing this then I noticed I hd a huge swing in salinity because my hydrometer sucked and my refractometer wasn't tuned right. Check ur parameters clean all the filters , try to make everything as pristine as possible dip the zoas and they will recover. Mine are in the recovery process right now and they are coming back. Lost a solar circus , almost lost rainbow yodas, rainbow infusions , sunny ds
Good luck !

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had really good luck with zoa's and vit C dosing. I was able to prevent an entire colony from melting away.

Its not for everyone, if you decide to do it read up a lot, as it does effect a lot that you would not normally think of... I will say, if I ever have another sick zoa colony my go-2 is now vitamin c. Its a miracle.

Ricardo Berrios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi any one has a real idea what can be causing my zoas to separate polyp from polyp and end up floating all around the tank. any one think i should not keep crabs with them? hermits blue red legs? small emerald Crab? if so please inform me so i can take them out cause i cant seem to see what the problem.

i had a pretty awesome rock that i had mixed zoas (none touching each other) and it has vanish and a colony that i have its just nos happy

calcium 500
nitrate 0
phosphate .5
ammonia .5

just dozed for ammonia still dont know how to manipulate my parameters

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the main parameter people really overlook with zoas PO4 , i couldn't figure out why my zoas always melt or shrink, then my buddy told me to lower my phosphates and raise the flow. No more melting or shrinking for me .

Ricardo Berrios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the main parameter people really overlook with zoas PO4 , i couldn't figure out why my zoas always melt or shrink, then my buddy told me to lower my phosphates and raise the flow. No more melting or shrinking for me .

Thanks and how exactly can i lower my phosphates. Look today i woke up and looked at my tank and is just ridiculous how i just have almost a water fountain cause not even my GSP is openning. I and extremely stressed out and even thinking about putting all down cause i cant figure it out its just too dam stressfull i love it but dam the only happy thing in that tank is the leather coral...

image.jpeg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha if i quit every time i lose a coral or a fish i'd be out of the hobby on the second week, most other reefers will agree . That being said , if you're in this hobby you have a duty to learn and eventually create the environment for your corals to multiply and live. There is a learning curve, so don't get discouraged.
Here are some random observations.
1 your tank seems to be new you still have ammonia, and what seems to be diatoms those are very toxic to corals,
2 you have a mandarin in a tiny tank, they need live food supply, that tiny fish probably needs 200+ gal tank, so is the star.
3 I am not sure how your indoor temperature is , but orlando temperature is 90 degrees, you have t5s on top of the tiny tank, water might be well over 80 degrees , also evaporation of the little tank could give you bad salinity swings.
4. you can benefit from a tiny skimmer, i think there is one on amazon that looks like your HOB, i would suggest getting that skimmer .
5. Small tanks are harder to maintain than the larger ones, especially that size. You must learn to account for the swings in temperature and the parameters, as well as salinity.
6. You can lower your phosphates with GFO , but for that tank size you can just do a few water changes 30% every 3-4 days.( thats if you have them)
So here are a few things that could be done
1) if its the temperature problem - Add a tiny fan to blow on top of the water , but you will also have to add an auto top-off to counteract the evaporation. ( may be you can come up with some gravity-fed version)
2) Get that little skimmer.
3) remove the goby and the star ( i know it sucks ) wait for your ammonia and nitrites to be completely gone, then get a tiny fish that doesn't grow big and that does not require too much food.
4) and the most important Do several smaller water changes, ( this is everyone's go-to if there are any trouble with the tank.)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your phosphates are in check , may be you can try aminos like acropower.

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest Fuel over AcroPower for Zoa's. You will get more out of it (i.e. Iodine and Vitamin C are found in Fuel and not AcroPower).

I do use AcroPower, but for my mixed reef housing SPS and not my Zoa garden (Fuel).

As for the OP I agree with Mac it seems your tank is new and still settling the cycle which really takes 3-6 months. The Nitrogen cycle is only the first part. I would imagine that your parameters are far from stable and this is why you coral is stressed and dying.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had really good luck with zoa's and vit C dosing. I was able to prevent an entire colony from melting away.

Its not for everyone, if you decide to do it read up a lot, as it does effect a lot that you would not normally think of... I will say, if I ever have another sick zoa colony my go-2 is now vitamin c. Its a miracle.

Care to talk about vitamin c and what to look for, what does it effect? I just started dosing. But slowly.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about Kent Microvert? Any users? also contains iodide and vitamin c as well as a lot of other stuff

Kat2fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and how exactly can i lower my phosphates. Look today i woke up and looked at my tank and is just ridiculous how i just have almost a water fountain cause not even my GSP is openning. I and extremely stressed out and even thinking about putting all down cause i cant figure it out its just too dam stressfull i love it but dam the only happy thing in that tank is the leather coral...

image.jpeg
Hello, Your leather looks extremely stressed as well. I would recommend doing biweekly waterchanges. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back