Zoa's taking major dump

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this was a weird one to come home to. I have seen my zoas poop before but these guys were throwing themself a party. Longest one was 3.25 inches long! I am not sure if this is normal or why I got a kick out of it :hammer: .
saltwater348.jpg

saltwater346.jpg

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I had that before with a colony, longer than 3 inches and it looked like a cassette tape came unspooled in my tank!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT is either poop or they are expelling excess zooanthellae algae....They can and will do this from time to time. Since there is no scientific proof that Zoanthus sp. eat it is hard for me to think that they are eating enough to have to expel waste in that manner. I know Z. palythoa, Z. protopalythoa and Z. giganteus eat and would in most cases eat enough to expel waste. Personally I would assume that it is excess zooanthellae, kinda like when zoas get stressed out from shipping and acclimation they do that also....

OP
OP
d.grcich

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel I believe you hit the nail on the head. Looked up zooanthellae algae and it made for some interesting reading.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back