Zoas

  • Thread starter Thread starter chevy4w
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chevy4w

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2013
Messages
289
Reaction score
193
Location
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something right! ; )
Needs a "haircut" but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

image.jpeg
 
That is a nice looking tank!

I guess, my first question would be: What are you wanting to accomplish by 'giving them a haircut'? Zoas don't really need to be 'thinned' unless you are wanting to add other flavors of coral or just want to scale back a specific color - so more aesthetic reasons.

One of the easiest ways to 'thin' them is to take the rock they are on a break into smaller pieces (give those pieces to a friend, sell them, start a second tank, etc). Of course, this will alter your overall rock-work design, so it may not be desirable.

Hopefully others who have had zoas for much longer than I have some other ideas...
 
Looks like the lower portion is growing over the sand? If so, just razor blade what you want to cut off. I like to use these scalpel things...

scalpel.jpg
 
I would do nothing Sept put some high dollar zoas in there and make a fortune in a few months you apparently have it all dialed in beautiful tank :-)
 
Just throw a queen angel she will thin it right out .... ;)
But really though if they are on the sand bed just pull them apart or any of the options above work to
 
Thank you very much everybody for the input and compliments. Definitely going to get a scalpel.
They are growing over the sand and getting close to the side glass and my mag float is not going to be able to clean the glass if I wait any longer.
Going to have many frags after trimming.
Bill
 
Thank you very much everybody for the input and compliments. Definitely going to get a scalpel.
They are growing over the sand and getting close to the side glass and my mag float is not going to be able to clean the glass if I wait any longer.
Going to have many frags after trimming.
Bill
How much will the frags be?
 
holy crap. That looks awesome. I don't have much luck with zoas. SPS are growing fast, but my zoas are barely growing. What's your secret?
 
holy crap. That looks awesome. I don't have much luck with zoas. SPS are growing fast, but my zoas are barely growing. What's your secret?
Your water is probably to clean for Zoas.
 
Your water is probably to clean for Zoas.

That's absolutely correct!! I am guilty of over-feeding. I use too much fish food, Coral Smoothie etc.....
Now, I can't grow SPS in my tank like you do....so it's a choice. Clean or dirty is the deciding factor for what we can grow in our aquariums. For now, for me it's dirty. (However, I think I'm going to tear down this tank soon and start over this time going "clean".)
Thanks for the compliment.
 
That's absolutely correct!! I am guilty of over-feeding. I use too much fish food, Coral Smoothie etc.....
Now, I can't grow SPS in my tank like you do....so it's a choice. Clean or dirty is the deciding factor for what we can grow in our aquariums. For now, for me it's dirty. (However, I think I'm going to tear down this tank soon and start over this time going "clean".)
Thanks for the compliment.
Don't tear it down everything likes a little dirt. Just reduce it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new