Zoa's

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have two tanks a frag tank & a display tank, two separate systems. I am trying to better understand my zoa's and why they're amazing one day and the other day they're closed not extended. Some zoa's right next to each other are completely different, one grows in a bush and the other grows in long leggy stalks. I get that each one requires a different environment, however, I feel like something may not be right. Some colonies get really big polyps and others stay microscopic... I know I have vermatid snails but no other recognized pests. My clowns love to swim through my zoa colonies but don't stay in the same colony for too long. The tank is approaching it's 1 year mark. I know my kessils intensity maxes at 45... should I raise the intensity so it penetrates lower into the tank to help the legginess?

My DT parameters
Nitrate 10ppm
Phos .12
Alk 8.5
Calcium 430
pH 8.2

I run (2) kessil 160 with (2) jebao ow-10's set to medium. I do weekly water changes & weekly filter floss replacement.

The frag tank has a frag rack at the surface that all polyps look amazing!!! When I put frags lower in the tank they begin to not open as much and just don't look as fat... I know my kessils intensity maxes at 35... should I raise the intensity so it penetrates lower into the tank?

My Frag Tank
Nitrate 0ppm
Phos 0ppm
Alk 8.6
Calciums 450
pH 8.2

I run (2) kessil 160 with (2) jebao ow-10's set to medium. I do weekly water changes & weekly filter floss replacement.

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be anything...

I personally have also contributed my success on my Mag levels.

It does sound like the intensity may be an issue for you. Maybe try lowing the frag rack and ramping it up slowly. sounds like you might have to play with it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back