Zoathids not looking too good.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 different zoas. One of them has been closed for about 2-3 months, the other one has been closed for about a month. Some of the polyps on the zoas that has been closed for a month has darkened in color. On the other zoas each polyp has a big dark patch at the bottom or towards the bottom, on one of the polpys there's a weird blob about 4mm in size covering the closed 'mouth' of the polpy.

The aquarium is 1 gallon and the tanks about 5-6 months old. I have a small sponge filter in there and heaps of rock. Other occupant's include 2 red mushrooms and a few unidentified snails. The zoas get heaps of blue light and I do a 50% water change every week. My 2 red mushrooms just recently detached from the rock and changed position. My water parameters are:
Gravity: 1.025
Nitrate: 3ppm
Phosphates: 0.1ppm
Temperature: 17 degrees celcius.
Ok, I just checked the temperature as I wrote it, I can not believe my eyes, my heater is switched off I will turn it on now, if there are any other possible issues please tell me, I live in new south whales so it's the middle of winter for me. Thanks!

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some pics, but to me it sounds like some sort of algae.
Sorry my phone cameras really bad, and my photography skills are really bad.
20220724_100138.jpg

20220724_095954.jpg

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are closed for a reason. Could be many of things. Mine close like this some times for a few days if there is a little swing in any parameter. Salinity.temp nitrates. Maybe as suggested they need more flow or more lighting. Try moving them to different spots in the tank and see how they act but don't change spots to quick as they need time to acclimate to that new spot.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back