Zoa not opening

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some Zoa's yesterday. And secured them down to a branch with my other zoas. Just came home and one of the two I bought has stayed closed. My wife who was home all day says it's the only coral in the tank that hasn't opened up today (minus one small head). Seeing if I should be concerned. All other corals I've purchased have been pretty open and happy the following day after purchase

20231212_192553.jpg

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cluster of BamBams that absolutely refused to open for a couple of weeks after I bought them, except for one that would open a tiny bit. Then one day they were just all open with no worries at all. It happens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got some Zoa's yesterday. And secured them down to a branch with my other zoas. Just came home and one of the two I bought has stayed closed. My wife who was home all day says it's the only coral in the tank that hasn't opened up today (minus one small head). Seeing if I should be concerned. All other corals I've purchased have been pretty open and happy the following day after purchase

20231212_192553.jpg
Location may be part of issue. Assure also that phos not elevated and light and water flow not too strong and even use of vodka or carbon dosing that reduces nitrate quickly can cause this. Assure salinity also has not become elevated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back