HELP! Zoas continue to look very upset....

theabbott1911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Ive had a tank set up for about 6 months now. 1st salt tank and have definitely had issues and learned a lot.

I have realled dialed in parameters over the past two months but since doing so many of my zoas are umbrella-ing and look as if they are starting to die off with no growth. 1 or 2 zoas are fine, but others have all the same look.

Parameters:
Phos - 0.03
Mag - 1420
Nitrate - 8.6
Alk - 8.7
Ca - 430

Any ideas?
20231228_101856.jpg

20231228_101850.jpg

OP
OP
T

theabbott1911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas typically do this when they arent getting enough light or big swings in parameters. How long have you had these?
Par on the rock is around 130ish. Would that be good for zoas? Ive had them around 4 months. They were thriving for awhile but the past 2 months have gone downhill.

OP
OP
T

theabbott1911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trace elements may be low, or perhaps testing error.
Gotcha. Ive recently gone away from relying on Hanna checkers. They have proven very inconsistent results from back to back repeated tests. Parameters are now checked with Hannas and double checked with saliferts.

As far as trace elements, i am doing a 10% water change bi-weekly. Should i go back to weekly or consider dosing?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like palmtree said thats plenty for zoas altho i do find they seem to like alot of light. Seen some growing on rocky shores of st thomas in like 6 inches of water and at times even out of water with insane amount of sun hitting them.

Do you have a fuge or algae scrubber? I find these compete directly with zoas for some of the same traces. Iodine specifically but iron, molybdenum manganese all contribute. When i started adding captiv8 isol traces to my ato they took off as well as using afr but afr wont keep up on its own. I do this in conjunction with icp test tho.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gotcha. Ive recently gone away from relying on Hanna checkers. They have proven very inconsistent results from back to back repeated tests. Parameters are now checked with Hannas and double checked with saliferts.

As far as trace elements, i am doing a 10% water change bi-weekly. Should i go back to weekly or consider dosing?
iron is usually an element that would benefit your zoa's. perhaps investing in an ICP test to then have an idea of what is low or needs tending to.

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phos is too low
A Reading of 0.03 will likely mean it’s closer to zero when you hear in mind the accuracy of hobby test kits
I’d up your phos a little or look closely at how your managing your nutrient export for any large swings

It won’t be light, I have zoas in less than 50 Par and there happily sticking out pups

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I find that zoa's are picky and I would not classify them as an easy coral, pally's are much easier and forgiving in comparison.

I get the impression there have been several changes in the tank in past months, as you say, to dial in parameters,

I would also ask if you are absolutely sure about that par level, they really do look like they not getting enough light...

Also wonder why everything in the tank is so white after 6 months?

PS - that bubble algae is at the beginning stage of infestation, you should look into ways to eradicate it before it gets out of hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back