Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't like the commercial options currently available. Most I felt were overpriced and some did not have a round or cone shaped bottom. Obviously, having a round bottom isn't required to culture phytoplankton but having never cultured it before I wanted the most optimum conditions for success.
This is what I was able to piece together and I must say I like it better than what was offered by the retailers. Guess you could say its a "lava lamp" design. I like it! :p
Cost me $150.00 to construct with the 2L boiling flask comprising the bulk of the expense.
It's my "fish room" so I wanted something that was easy to clean, out of the way, and looked ok; not sketchy or weird. :)
This is day 4 of my first culture.

IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
That looks amazing! Great job! Quick question on your lighting if you don't mind. Are you still running the same "cheap" led strips that you started with? Do they do a pretty good job waking your corals up before the t5s kick on? Im going to go with t5s as well and cant decide if i want to drop the money on a legit reef light bar supplementation or go with an off brand.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing! Great job! Quick question on your lighting if you don't mind. Are you still running the same "cheap" led strips that you started with? Do they do a pretty good job waking your corals up before the t5s kick on? Im going to go with t5s as well and cant decide if i want to drop the money on a legit reef light bar supplementation or go with an off brand.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do still have and run them. They do "wake" the corals and act as a great "moonlight". In retrospect I would have just spent the extra money and purchased the knock-off version of Orphek style led light bars. Mainly for the increased light output as my cheap leds are 13.5 inches from the water surface. I'm sure they add some color while the T5's are running but nothing really noticeable to any great extent.
They do what I had initially intended so I can't really complain and I'm glad I have them vs nothing at all.

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 50 low boys that I am planning to set up very similar to this. Sorry if you already said, but what overflows and lights are you using?

Edit: I missed where you posted the lights the first time. How are you liking those fixtures?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 50 low boys that I am planning to set up very similar to this. Sorry if you already said, but what overflows and lights are you using?

Edit: I missed where you posted the lights the first time. How are you liking those fixtures?
Hey there!
My overflows are Eshopps "eclipse" medium sized overflow. I really like them and they were super simple to install. As for my fixtures; I really like them too and they haven't given me any issues. I keep them at 13.5 inches off the water surface. I'm not sure of my "PAR" value at that height but seems to sustain a mixed reef.
Hope this helps and good luck with your build!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back