zooxanthellae

  • Thread starter Thread starter sebnuage
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sebnuage

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2021
Messages
59
Reaction score
15
Location
Québec
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reasons to believe that in my aquarium,somehow, corals have shared zooxanthellae’s.
Can anyone back this up with info?
 
I found this from the coral Wiki. Since young corals obtain algae from the environment, I suppose it's possible. NOTE: I'm not a marine biologist. Just an internet reefer. ;)

"Typically, each polyp harbors one species of alga, and coral species show a preference for Symbiodinium. Young corals are not born with zooxanthellae, but acquire the algae from the surrounding environment, including the water column and local sediment."
 
I found this from the coral Wiki. Since young corals obtain algae from the environment, I suppose it's possible. NOTE: I'm not a marine biologist. Just an internet reefer. ;)

"Typically, each polyp harbors one species of alga, and coral species show a preference for Symbiodinium. Young corals are not born with zooxanthellae, but acquire the algae from the surrounding environment, including the water column and local sediment."
I can actually see zooxanthellae transfer "on" one of my corals from a polyp to another, i'll try to get a picture
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new