zooxanthellae

sebnuage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reasons to believe that in my aquarium,somehow, corals have shared zooxanthellae’s.
Can anyone back this up with info?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this from the coral Wiki. Since young corals obtain algae from the environment, I suppose it's possible. NOTE: I'm not a marine biologist. Just an internet reefer. ;)

"Typically, each polyp harbors one species of alga, and coral species show a preference for Symbiodinium. Young corals are not born with zooxanthellae, but acquire the algae from the surrounding environment, including the water column and local sediment."

OP
OP
S

sebnuage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this from the coral Wiki. Since young corals obtain algae from the environment, I suppose it's possible. NOTE: I'm not a marine biologist. Just an internet reefer. ;)

"Typically, each polyp harbors one species of alga, and coral species show a preference for Symbiodinium. Young corals are not born with zooxanthellae, but acquire the algae from the surrounding environment, including the water column and local sediment."
I can actually see zooxanthellae transfer "on" one of my corals from a polyp to another, i'll try to get a picture

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back