Possible Brooks?

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just noticed this on both of my clownfish tonight. My other two fish are missing so likely buried in the sand or passed after looking at this. I think it’s brooks. What do you think? Both of my clownfish have it. If so, how do I treat them? I have a yellow watchman and a mandarin dragonet missing.

A week ago I brought home a sick fish and was sent home with kanaplex for a bacterial infection and he’s in quarantine so can’t even reach this pair. He’s healthy now though. Is it possible it transferred off of me?

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3664.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, I just noticed this on both of my clownfish tonight. My other two fish are missing so likely buried in the sand or passed after looking at this. I think it’s brooks. What do you think? Both of my clownfish have it. If so, how do I treat them? I have a yellow watchman and a mandarin dragonet missing.

A week ago I brought home a sick fish and was sent home with kanaplex for a bacterial infection and he’s in quarantine so can’t even reach this pair. He’s healthy now though. Is it possible it transferred off of me?

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3664.jpeg
These are very tough photos to make a confirmation of what you have but appears to be secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella disease which often spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution which is near impossible to find and can be started with Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are very tough photos to make a confirmation of what you have but appears to be secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella disease which often spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution which is near impossible to find and can be started with Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
I'm sorry they're not clear. He wouldn't sit still thinking I was going to feed. Did you see the videos being a little better? Do I do treatments for the whole fallow time? Or what do I do after that? Do I need to do anything with the GSP coral? I'm trying to find Quick Cure online but not finding much detail except it's made by Fritz but not a direct product name online.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For which ever product you choose use the directions on the package. The fallow period that I suggest for brook is 6 weeks (and I would treat all of the fish). I agree with @vetteguy53081 and others that the fish seems to be in rough shape - are there any others with symptoms>

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For which ever product you choose use the directions on the package. The fallow period that I suggest for brook is 6 weeks (and I would treat all of the fish). I agree with @vetteguy53081 and others that the fish seems to be in rough shape - are there any others with symptoms>
I haven't seen the conditions of the ones who are hiding. In fact, I think they are likely buried in the sand because the sand has been moved a lot. I checked on the clownfish tonight and they look much more rough than the pictures I posted. The little one is the roughest. He has white dust on him like he got buried in the sand. The female is just starting the phases of possible lesions and not as bright in color. Neither are actually their normally vibrant colors. The male almost reminds me of a snake shedding its skin. I do not see any rubbing behaviors or marks. But, currently, the snail and dwarf crab is still alive. We are nearly a year on both snail and crab so I lost most of the other clean up crew. They are still interested in eating. I noticed however, the sponge filter has a lot of white dusty stuff on it that look a lot like what the clownfish are covered in. That developed only two days ago. I thought maybe it was from the wavemaker throwing sand or something but I'm starting to wonder. A couple days ago, they were "surfing" on the waves made by the wavemaker.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm sorry they're not clear. He wouldn't sit still thinking I was going to feed. Did you see the videos being a little better? Do I do treatments for the whole fallow time? Or what do I do after that? Do I need to do anything with the GSP coral? I'm trying to find Quick Cure online but not finding much detail except it's made by Fritz but not a direct product name online.
Quick cure likely wont address this and Ruby Rally Pro and even Seachem neoplex or tri-sulfa will address this more effectively

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick cure likely wont address this and Ruby Rally Pro and even Seachem neoplex or tri-sulfa will address this more effectively
My tank was totally wiped out this morning except for my dwarf crab and turbo snail. I still have a tiny clownfish in quarantine that I took in a week or two ago I can at least put in there in a couple months.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was totally wiped out this morning except for my dwarf crab and turbo snail. I still have a tiny clownfish in quarantine that I took in a week or two ago I can at least put in there in a couple months.
Sorry to hear this. Brooklynella will typically kill a fish in about 72hrs if not quickly treated at first symptoms. Clowns are notorius (with other damsels) of carrying this disease.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So sorry to hear . Do a water change and then Go fishless for 6-8 weeks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry things didn't work out. Its always hard losing a fish

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update on the tiny clownfish I have in quarantine. He is starting to show signs of white dots on his tail. I see a very thin light white on his slime coat but nothing like the pair I lost yesterday. He acts like he's constipated with trying to push out a white stringy poop. I gave him metroplex in his frozen food tonight before this started.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back