FSU1Dolfan's BioCube 29G

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FSU1Dolfan's BioCube 29G (Update 11/29/12)

Well this has been a long time coming and finally i found some time to put this together!

My tank started back on May 24th 2007. As many other reefers, i did my research mostly on line through forums like R2R. I worked a local pet store back in high school and mainly knew about fresh water and reptiles. I learned a little bit about saltwater but after college most of that was forgotten. After doing my research and learning about Biocubes, which reminded me of the eclipse systems back in the day, i felt that i could handle a saltwater tank. Like everyone else, i went through my ups and downs. Learned about modifying my Biocube every way possible. And of course learning from my mistakes.

My setup (right now)
Chamber 1 - Removed false floor and removed cartridge. Widen the overflow to chamber 2. Now contains my heater

Chamber 2 - Bio balls removed, False floor removed. InTank media basket with regular filter pad cut to fit on top and Chaeto below. Tunze 9002 Skimmer next to media basket with InTank upgraded cup. Back of the tank i had to shave the paint off and hang a light in order to grow the chaeto. I have it on a reverse time cycle to my regular lights in order to avoid PH fluctuations.

Chamber 3 - Removed the sponge on bottom. Removed Stock Pump and replaced with Rio HF6 and eheim 16/22 tubing to eliminate 90 degree angle return. I also have my thermometer back there.

Lighting - removed the stock hood and replaced with an LED System from Reef Breeders 120W Controllable

Top - Custom cut Plexi glass top with multiple holes for less heat captured. Also have a fan clipped onto the back of chambers 2 and 3 to help combat the heat. The tank ranges from 76-80 with 78 being the most constant temp.

Return - Modified return with Y-loc line with Hydor Flo Deflector and the stock return on the other end.

Other goodies -
Frag rack from blackrockreef.com MR2 - This thing has been great!
Nano Koralia
Nimble Nano Cleaner - Freaking rocks!!! Nimble Nano Home
LED Actinics made for the Sunpod - Finally, Sunpod LED Actinics - Nano-Reef.com Forums AMAZING (pics soon)
Newest Cleaner - NANO MAG Nano Mag will make algae run and hide

Livestock (as of now)
YWG - Godfather
2 Yellow Neon Gobies - Spo
2 White Knight Clown Fish - Yet to be named
Six Line Wrasse - HoneyDew
CUC - Nass, Nerite, ceriths, few hermits, couple turbos, emerald crab

Corals (as of now)
Hammer
Torch
Orange cap - from divecj5 (coming back to life)
Zoas/Palys - Bam bams, fruit loops, Mandarin Orange, Daul Mauls, Eagle Eyes, Rastas, King Midas
Yellow and Red Sponges
GSP - Back wall
Blastos
Rainbow Wellso

Macroalgaes

Chaeto

Dosing
Brightwells A & B for Cal & Alk
Brightwells Mag and Kents Tech M
Brightwells Vitamarin C

Future Plans:
Visited Reef Savvy and Started planning an upgrade already!!! Looking at around 150 gallon OMG!!

Questions/Comments are always welcome. Also more pics are in my album!

Thanks
Jason

One of the earliest pics i have from June 07
06071.jpg

06072.jpg

July 07
07073.jpg

October 07
1007.jpg

November 07
111807.jpg

April 08
April08-1.jpg

June 08
June2008.jpg

July 08
708-8.jpg

708-1.jpg

August 08 NEW Sunpod!!!
08088.jpg

080819.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 08
12083.jpg

January 09 - New Plexi Glass Top
01200910.jpg

April 09
427091.jpg

June 09 Bought a house and had to move the tank. A strenuous half day moving this thing. It was tough but in the end everything survived! The GPS took sometime to recover from being exposed for so long since they are stuck on the back wall and the coralline algae turned white in some spots but all in all everything was good!
615092.jpg

61509.jpg

July 09
720091.jpg

August 09
August20094.jpg

Tried my hand at some SPS and learned the hard way about chemical warfare!! :( I lost the birdsnest and the cali tort. The setosa was the toughest one and the slimer is bouncing back...as well as the cap!

August1520093.jpg

September 09 picked up some nice zoas/palys from CT Football
CIMG3852.jpg

CIMG3862.jpg

November 09

11.2009 (3).jpg

December 09 - colors coming back with the coralline and GSP looking nice on the back wall and the Bonsai looking healthy!!

12.2009.jpg

12.2009 (2).jpg

My first Chalice

12.2009 (22).jpg

January pics to come!!
Thanks again

Attachments

• 12.2009 (3).jpg
    12.2009 (3).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:

tangov559

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice progression...how are the leds? got a pic with them on?

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the gsp on the back wall..
Thanks...after my move i thought i killed most of it but it is still looking good!!

nice progression...how are the leds? got a pic with them on?
Thanks...I have been working on getting pics of the leds. I took a few with my old camera but havent uploaded them yet. I also want to try some pics with my new camera too....maybe i can get some better shots!! Stick around i'll have a few soon!

how are the frags? i lost the ct rainbows and raptors rainbows after fraggin em for ya
CT that sucks man! The CT Rainbows are my strongest ones i got from you! The raptors are doing good but very slow growers. The ones i am having the toughest time with are the mohawks. They never really rebounded after coming off of the rock. I'll have to get you some frags once these guys grow out some more!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i realize i havent done anything here in forever...have a couple of pics from January but nothing amazing. I also realize i need some new pics pronto!!!

Updates: My Chalice is getting huge and tons of eyes...Still not sure what it is but the red/orange yellow eyes rocks...like a poor mans Flame thrower LOL
My Mandarin is still doing amazing...little Oliver is healthy and still kicking butt in my tank!!
Also lost all the Raptors rainbows :cry:recently....Lucky 2 stuck around and i have some babies that may do good.
Candy Apples reds have exploded into a ton! My green slimer has bounced back and taken over. MY setosa is growing strong in 2 spots and my Purple Garf is still solid and getting bigger.
Also the LEDs look amazing...i think i might have some photos that are decent but i may take more...very hard to capture on camera.

All in all things are good...still battling some algea and aiptasia and my GSP is getting annoying. Still have an itch for a 92 gal corner or just revamp my tank.

Heres a few old/new pics from January but i owe you guys more for sure!!! My chalice is like double the size now too!!
IMG_0076.jpg
1.2010 (2)smaller.jpg
Jan '10smaller.jpg

1.2010 (3)smaller.jpg
1.2010 (1)smaller.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have come along way from your first update lol, i love the GPS on the back i would love to do that with my tank but i think controlling it would be to hard and it would take ove. I have a very open tank and i san see right threw other then the Corraline spots.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigfeesh - I know i know...its been way long over due. Especially with all the changes for this weekend, i need to take some pics. Also since my fiance just got a new DSLR, i can now get some sick pics!!! Lately, i have been battling some aiptasia's, xenia, some algae, GSP, etc. I spent 6 hours last month trying to clean things up...water changes, removing some rock, cutting back over-grown corals and overall getting things in order. This weekend will kind of be the same but with new additions - MP10, Tunze 9002, Media Rack and removing Biocube skimmer and nano koralia. Next week i should also have the BRS reactor for my GFO and possibly my carbon. My last purchase i want is the Aiptasia Zapper to help control the aiptasia, xenias, shrooms etc.
How is you tank doing? Have you started a journal thread yet?

M&M - Thanks for the comments and yes i must admit the GSP has been i pain at times. Honestly i love it on the back wall though...with the leds on it looks amazing, like a neon green wave on the back wall. If you every give it a shot, just make sure you trim back any areas the might get close to rock. The 6 hours i spent last month was mostly shaving back the GSP in areas i didnt want...my own fault because i let it go. Unfortunately my green slimer and a piece of my setosa paid the price for my neglect. Now that i have things shaved back i can control the areas where i want it. I still have some others though like xenia, shrooms, and aiptasia that that are a little a harder to deal with. Hence the need for the aiptasia zapper :p

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Livestock - No new additions until i get things in order with the exception of more CUC (clean up crew)
-My orange sponge lasted over a year but started to go down hill. Was a nice piece but i probably need to do more research on them.
-Oscar my Bi Color Blenny pasted - i had him back in 2008 so i was sad to see him go :(
-A few zoas bit the dust too - Nuclears (to algae), Rainbows Raptors (no reason but they never were strong or produced many polyps), Lunars (GSP grew over them) and my CT Rainbows are right now going through a funk but might bounce back.
-Oliver is still hanging around. He has thinned out some and i am working on getting him to eat more. Still impressed that for 2 plus years he was doing great.
-Purple Garf is outta control huge
-My Hammer accidentally fell on my acans and i lost all heads but one...hoping for babies soon.

Outside of that my 2010 was a year of semi neglect and i am looking to rebound this year. New equipment, better husbandry, and overall more attention!! I will work on pictures this weekend as my chalice and purple garf are monsters now!!!

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigfeesh - I know i know...its been way long over due. Especially with all the changes for this weekend, i need to take some pics. Also since my fiance just got a new DSLR, i can now get some sick pics!!! Lately, i have been battling some aiptasia's, xenia, some algae, GSP, etc. I spent 6 hours last month trying to clean things up...water changes, removing some rock, cutting back over-grown corals and overall getting things in order. This weekend will kind of be the same but with new additions - MP10, Tunze 9002, Media Rack and removing Biocube skimmer and nano koralia. Next week i should also have the BRS reactor for my GFO and possibly my carbon. My last purchase i want is the Aiptasia Zapper to help control the aiptasia, xenias, shrooms etc.
How is you tank doing? Have you started a journal thread yet?

Awesome how do you like the tunze? And I I'll be starting my for real thread once my evolution LEDS come in ! I was lucky enough to get sexy corals superbowl frag pack !
Coming this week or next - two nano koralias to take place of single 750gph koralia, tunze 9002 skimmer,
Corals either tomorrow or Wednesday - a couple yumas and a couple rics from coralmorpholigic
And later this week the pack of SEXY CORALS plus a couple things. Zoas and palys - red hornet,tyree capt America,utter chaos ,2 rastas,3 kaleidoscopes,2 big pinkies,orange rainbow zoa
Others- superman rhodactis , and sc's rainbow Yuma !
Have you ever ordered from sexy corals ? They are great!

Last edited:
OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome how do you like the tunze? And I I'll be starting my for real thread once my evolution LEDS come in ! I was lucky enough to get sexy corals superbowl frag pack !
Coming this week or next - two nano koralias to take place of single 750gph koralia, tunze 9002 skimmer,
Corals either tomorrow or Wednesday - a couple yumas and a couple rics from coralmorpholigic
And later this week the pack of SEXY CORALS plus a couple things. Zoas and palys - red hornet,tyree capt America,utter chaos ,2 rastas,3 kaleidoscopes,2 big pinkies,orange rainbow zoa
Others- superman rhodactis , and sc's rainbow Yuma !
Have you ever ordered from sexy corals ? They are great!

OMG that pack looked amazing...im jealous!! I havent ordered from sexy corals yet but maybe once i get things where i want them. I truly have avoided any major purchases because i want things perfect before i add any livestock. This past weekend was step two in "Operation Overhaul". I installed the Tunze and i must say that thing is very picky where the water line is at. After playing with the air valve on top and adjusting where is sat in my tank, i was able to get it to run perfectly. I read there is a break-in period but yesterday it pulled some brownish water already. Cant wait to see this thing working to full capabilities...coming from the biocube skimmer, i am really excited!
Also just a tip, if the skimmer is making loud and weird noises with the cup on...then you need to keep adjusting the water level and/or the air valve...eventually when you get the right spot it quiets down alot!

Stay tuned i have some pics and an update coming soon!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2/8/11

Well this past weekend completed a few a changes:

1) Removed Koralia Nano pump and BioCube Skimmer

2) Installed MP10, Tunze 9002 and InTank Media Rack in the second chamber.

3) Heater moved from display to first chamber

4) Water Change

Results
So far the Tunze 9002 looks to be working well and giving me some decent dark wet skim. Took some time to adjust the air valve and water line but i think i am good to go! The MP10 is freaking amazing...already noticing better water movement and a crystal clean tank. Also the sponge guard that comes with the MP10 kind of acts like an additional filter. I love that it gets clogged with random debris i.e. algae, macro algae, detritus, etc. Simply take it off and clean it. I'm sure down the road it will become a pain but for now while i can cleaning and continuously picking stuff out...it will be a great additional filter.

Right now i have crystal clean water...With the skimmer, water change and MP10 i can only assume its a combination of everything. So far i am very happy.

Again i am not finished with "Operation Overhaul" but here is my status...

Operation Overhaul
Step 1 COMPLETED - Just can thing back to normal - Cut back GSP, clean up algae, Water Change, Clean coraline of glass, remove some live rock.

Step 2 COMPLETED - Install MP10, Tunze 9002, InTank Media Rack, remove biocube skimmer, remove koralia pump, remove frag rack in display, clean up glass, siphon out detritus in back chambers, pick out more algae etc.

Step 3 - Install BRS reactor for GFO and Carbon, clean up the sand bed, cut back more corals (xenia, mushrooms, GSP), Get an aiptasia zapper, pickout more algae etc, partial water change.

Step 4 - Frag my corals!!! Hammer, Chalice, Purple Garf Bonzi

Step 5 - Add new livestock (Can't Wait!!!)

Now for new pics - Taken with our new canon D3100 which please keep in mind i am a huge noob DSLR cameras. But i will be practicing a bunch!!:wink:

First my Chalice which is a monster now from the little guy he once was...
With Flash
smaller1.jpg

Without
smaller2.jpg

Hammer Time
smaller3.jpg

smaller4.jpg

Bam Bams
smaller5.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side View - Dont mind the aiptasias :sad: they will be dealt with soon
smaller.sideview.jpg

Sorry no close ups of the Purple Garf but i was dealing with glare issues and couldnt get a good pic...next time...Hope you guys enjoyed

Thanks
Jason

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great! I love that Chalice, what is it's name and how long have you had it?

Thanks for the compliment.

I dont have a name on the chalice but i have had it for a little over a year....the growth has been amazing though. Maybe ill start a thread and see if anyone can ID it.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2/26/11

So i recently came home to a piece of my purple garf bonsai broken off and laying on the sand bed. I grabbed one of my tiles and glued it down...so far so good and it is started to encrust around the glue. I know that fragging is step four of my "Operation Overhaul" but this got me a little excited so i started getting my tiles i bought from home depot ready. They come 4x4 inch cubes and i figured 2x2 inch would be perfect but after the first piece in my tank i realize 1x1 inch would be better. I still have my BRS reastor sitting in the box but it will soon get installed..anyway here are some pics of my progression...can wait to start fragging

First the Bonsai colony..not the greatest pic but you get the idea.
DSC_0254.jpg

And the piece that broke off
DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

Here are the tiles i got
DSC_0255.jpg

2x2 down to 1x1
DSC_0256.jpg

Cool pic of my tiles...im still learning this nikon d3100
DSC_0257.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back