OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back to the hobby glb! I'm sorry but I just saw this thread or I would have been posting some encouragement and maybe helped if I could. It sounds like you figured out what happened to the clowns - I'm sorry for the loss but at least it sounds like it wasn't something amiss with the new setup. One piece of advice I have - did you replace the sand? since it was sitting for a while and had the crash, that may help. One other concern would be your rock could be leeching phosphates - but you're doing what you can about that with the phosguard - the only other thing that could really take care of it would be to bleach the rock and then cure it until you get no phosphates. Given that it's a fairly small tank, have you thought about maybe starting over with some new live rock or maybe some dry with supplementing with a couple of pieces of live rock? I'm just thinking stripping down to basically starting again may be your best bet in the long run.

Don't throw in the towel!! You will succeed and you'll be happily watching your beautiful slice of the ocean soon. HTH with at least some ideas.

I think I saw on another thread that you're a female? I'm just always glad to see other girl reefers in the hobby :)

Thanks for your help! Yes I'm a chick, much to some people's surprise! I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my LPS don't look good at all. The acan and lobo aren't puffed at all. I really don't know what to do.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look fine to me , give them time . what type lights do you have on your tank ? PC or led . What are your parm ? I don't put my hands in the water too much sounds crazy but the less there in the water the better , like today washed my 3 dogs ,so no hands in my tank .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have leds. Blue/white. Blue is at about 60% and white maybe 50

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the par with a parmeter ? the whites might be kind of high . I would lower them to 25-30% and see what happens .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the par with a parmeter ? the whites might be kind of high . I would lower them to 25-30% and see what happens .

I don't have a par meter but that's probably a good idea. Should I turn them off for a few days and run only blues?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics. The first is the day I got them. The other three are from yesterday.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426165108.723902.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426165127.171645.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426165144.785582.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426165162.464607.jpg

The lobo has the little white spikes showing through. I moved it to a low light/low flow area.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the lights to 20%white and 40% blue and see how they do . that`s the starting point I used . then In a few weeks you can bump It up higher . I am running that on my 60 gal for six months and two weeks ago I started to bring my lights up slowly. the highest I am running now Is 40% white and 60% blue for only half hour . thinking of adding another 20 minutes next week . so far my SPS like the change .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the lights to 20%white and 40% blue and see how they do . that`s the starting point I used . then In a few weeks you can bump It up higher . I am running that on my 60 gal for six months and two weeks ago I started to bring my lights up slowly. the highest I am running now Is 40% white and 60% blue for only half hour . thinking of adding another 20 minutes next week . so far my SPS like the change .

Ok. I have a driver I need to install to lower them. The dimmer switches aren't as precise. Thanks!

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k. I just put my 29 gal back in the wall ,tons of work old out new in ! I got some frags now after all that work , some birds nest ,Hollywood stunner and jedi mind trick . If you would like some your welcome to them . just need a week or two to heal up .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k. I just put my 29 gal back in the wall ,tons of work old out new in ! I got some frags now after all that work , some birds nest ,Hollywood stunner and jedi mind trick . If you would like some your welcome to them . just need a week or two to heal up .

Thank you!!! That's wonderful! Let me get my lights under control and I'll take you up on it!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to use low blue lights until I can get my driver installed. Looking back, it may have been the leds that caused a big part of the problem. My dimmer switch was a little erratic and they may have been running too high. This could have contributed to the algae outbreak too. The lobo still has some color so hopefully it will come back. I got the driver with the Steve's leds but didn't get around to installing it. Sounds like I need the ability to precisely adjust them. Those lights are powerful!

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. cool ,I`ll take care of the frags since they need some time to heal .How big is your Tank ? Do you have a sump ,maybe run some GFO to cut down on the algae .Have you checked the Phospates ?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. cool ,I`ll take care of the frags since they need some time to heal .How big is your Tank ? Do you have a sump ,maybe run some GFO to cut down on the algae .Have you checked the Phospates ?

It's only a 12g so some of the frags might not work in that size. Actually the last time I checked my phosphates they were 0.03ppm. I have a sump in the back area of the tank and have some Phosguard in there. I actually think it was the lights. Today I turned off the whites altogether and have the blues on at maybe 20%. The lobo still has some color to it so it's not totally bleached. The favia looks fine and the acan a little deflated but better. I'll test the water before I do a 1g water change and see how it did over the week.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Birds nest is an SPS right? I haven't done those yet because the tank is so small. Are the other two zoas?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dear. I just looked them up and they're SPS too. I've never had those!

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will work fine .They are small frags so they won`t take up to much room. If you would see the Hollywood Stunner I have in my 12gal tank it takes up 1/3 the tank .under PC`s ! 12 gal you have to watch your SG much more then any thing else . they are easy corals to keep . My next project will be working on the 12 gal tank ,making it an SPS one !

Jedi mind trick is one of my favorite`s under blue lights .

Phosguard works but you have to change it often or it release Phosphates back into the tank .

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I now have only blues on at about 20%. The lobo looks bad. I'm not sure it will rebound. The acan and favia look a little better. I fed them some reef roids yesterday and will test the water later.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back